These M&M Christmas Cookies are made with a simple, delicious sugar cookie dough and plenty of chocolate candy pieces. A fun and festive treat for cookie exchanges and gift giving that can easily be customized to suit your occasion!
It’s Christmas cookie time again, and along with my Easy Sugar Cookies and Chocolate Pretzel Cookies, these M&M Christmas Cookies are on my Christmas baking list every year.
There’s just something so perfect about M&M cookies isn’t there? Is it the sweetness? Is it the chocolate? Is it how the cookie is still moist inside? Ok, it’s all 3 of those. M&M Cookies win my heart, especially when they’re all dressed up for Christmas!
Ingredients in M&M Christmas Cookies
This recipe is a pretty standard brown sugar cookie recipe with flour, two types of sugar, baking soda, egg and vanilla. It’s the addition of M&M’s that make this recipe extra special. We’re using holiday colored M&M’s of red and green to get these little gems ready for Christmas! The end result is a soft, chewy, delicious cookie that’s packed with yummy flavors and a satisfying crunch from the M&M’s. You won’t be able to eat just one!
How Do You Make M&M Christmas Cookies?
M&M Christmas Cookies are super easy to make and there’s no chilling of dough required! Start with a sugar cookie dough by combining together brown sugar, white sugar, butter, vanilla and an egg with a hand mixer until the mixture is light and fluffy. Then add flour, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch to the butter mixture, and continue to mix. Only one bowl needed! Fold in some of the M&Ms, and gently stir with a spoon, and the dough is ready.
Drop dough by tablespoon onto a cookie sheet (sprayed with nonstick spray or use silicone baking mats) and add the remaining M&Ms to the top of the cookies. Pop them in the oven and bake into golden brown cookies. Let the cookies cool for a bit on a cooling rack and then, serve and enjoy!
Tips For M&M Christmas Cookies
- When scooping out the cookie dough, try using a tablespoon measuring spoon or cookie dough scoop. This will ensure you end up with cookies that are all the same size and even baking of the cookies.
- I especially love using the baking mini M&M’s because they aren’t too overwhelming in the cookie. You can also use regular M&M’s or other varieties such as peanut, pretzel, dark chocolate and the list goes on.
- To change things up, feel free to use chocolate chips, toffee bits or chopped nuts in place of all or half of the M&M’s.
- The cookies will stay fresh, at room temperature, in an airtight container for up to 5 days. If stored in the fridge, they will keep well for about 2 weeks or longer.
Can You Freeze M&M Cookie Dough?
Yes, this cookie dough will freeze well. The dough can be made ahead of time, placed in a freezer-safe airtight container and stored in the freezer for 3 months.
Another option is to freeze individual balls of dough. Freeze the balls of dough, first, for about an hour on a sheet pan. Then store them all in a freezer-safe airtight container in the freezer. This method works well if you don’t want to bake all of the cookies at one time.
Can You Freeze Baked M&M Cookies?
These M&M cookies work great for baking ahead of time and freezing for later. To freeze, place the completely cooled baked cookies in a single layer in a freezer-safe baggie and store in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat your cookies, let them sit at room temperature until they’re soft.
M&M Cookie Variations
I love that with these cookies, you can use seasonal M&M’s and different colors to make your cookies work great for any holiday or occasion. The red and green candies are perfect for Christmas, and when Valentine’s Day rolls around, it’s all about the pink and red. Oh, and Easter M&M Cookies are so pretty with pastel M&M’s. But don’t forget Fourth of July and red, white, and blue! So fun and festive!
These M&M Christmas Cookies are absolutely perfect for cookie exchanges because they’re so easy and the recipe makes a large batch. I also like to package them up in gift tins or cellophane bags to give to teachers, friends and family. Everyone who tries these cookies loves them!
Did you make and love this recipe? Give it your review below! 👇 And make sure to share your creations by tagging me or using the hashtag #brooklynfarmgirl on Instagram!
Pin for later:
M&M Christmas CookiesPrint
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup M&M’s
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 2 cookie sheets with nonstick spray or add silicone baking mats to cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl combine butter, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla and egg with hand mixer.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt and cornstarch and continue to mix.
- Add 3/4 cup M&M's to bowl and stir with spoon to combine them.
- Drop dough by tablespoon onto cookie sheet and press remaining 1/4 cup M&M's into the top of each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.