The BEST Powdered Sugar SNOWBALL Cookies! This is my favorite Christmas cookie recipe! These Russian Tea Cake Cookies are so easy to make! They’re made with pecans and then rolled in powdered sugar after baking! I make a few batches to hand out for gifts around the holidays – everyone always love them!
What do you call these cookies?
Mexican Wedding Cakes?
I call them delicious.
Snowballs are commonly baked around the holiday season. They are a form of Jumble which was a popular cookie pastry made in the Middle Ages. Jumbles were popular during that time because they traveled and kept so well, thanks to their hard nature being made with nuts or seeds. Although in the Middle Ages they were known to keep these cookies around for a year without becoming stale, I dare you to keep them around for a week without eating them.
These are one of my favorite cookies due to the crunch of the finely chopped pecans and powdered sugar you roll them in. Do you love powdered sugar as much as I do? I hope so.
I prefer using pecans for these cookies. You want to make sure they are finely chopped so they don’t overwhelm the cookies so just take a handful and throw them in your food processor. A few pulses later you’ll have exactly what you want.
You’ll also want to chill the dough for about 20 minutes. Why do you want to chill? These cookies have flour in them, so chilling the dough permits the gluten strands in the flour to cause a rubbery texture in the final cookie. Also, having the chilled dough makes it much easier to roll some balls when it’s time to bake them.
Enjoy our family’s favorite cookies, Snowball Russian Teacake Cookies!
Pin for later:
Snowball Russian Teacake Cookies
The BEST Powdered Sugar SNOWBALL Cookies! This is my favorite Christmas cookie recipe! These Russian Tea Cake Cookies are so easy to make! They're made with pecans and then rolled in powdered sugar after baking! I make a few batches to hand out for gifts around the holidays - everyone always love them!
- 1/2 cup butter - softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- confectioners powdered sugar to roll cookies in
- Mix butter, sugar and vanilla together in bowl.
- Mix flour and salt together in other bowl.
- Combine flour mixture with butter mixture, stir so blended together nicely.
- Add pecans and stir so they are equally distributed.
- Chill dough for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll dough in 1 inch balls and place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until set but not browned.
- While still warm, roll each cookie in powdered sugar.
- Let cool, store in airtight container.
Makes 18 Snowball Cookies.