Hearty potato and peanut butter stew is a quick meal to throw together. The soup only takes 4 hours to cook in the crockpot. Serve over brown or white rice for a complete meal.
Potato and Peanut Butter Stew
My kids love when I tell them we’re having peanut butter for dinner! If you’re not used to adding peanut butter into dinner dishes, consider this a challenge to try it! The peanut butter is going to give this stew a savory, nutty taste that we love.
This stew is packed with vegetables (potatoes, onions, carrots, diced tomatoes) and then cooked in a broth filled with spices. Finally the peanut butter gets added in a the end to make the broth creamy.
Serve in bowls and enjoy this delicious peanut butter stew!
How to Serve
You can serve this stew as is, or for a full meal, serve over rice (brown, white or Indian basmati rice) or egg noodles. Personally my family loves it over rice, and loves how the rice soaks up the peanut butter broth!
For dipping, grab some crusty bread, or naan and dinner is ready!
How long does this peanut butter stew take in the crockpot?
This recipe takes 4 hours in the crockpot. You will add the peanut butter in during the last 30 minutes.
- potatoes – I recommend Idaho potatoes, dice them up – no need to peel them
- onion – slice or diced, but I think slices of onion make them more interesting for this soup
- minced garlic
- chicken broth (or you can use vegetable broth)
- diced tomatoes (can or homemade diced tomatoes)
- spices: cumin, allspice, paprika
- peanut butter – pick your favorite brand – creamy or crunchy both work well!
How to Make in the Slow Cooker
Add the potatoes into the slow cooker.
Now add in the sliced onion and diced tomatoes.
Here comes the diced carrots.
Now add in the broth and all the spices.
Close the lid and cook until potatoes are tender (fork should easily slide in).
Scoop peanut butter in, mix to stir and cook a little bit longer. Use your favorite peanut butter btw – crunchy and creamy both work well!
Serve in bowls over rice and enjoy your peanut butter stew!
Storing leftovers and reheating
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days. To reheat, heat up in the microwave, or heat in a pot on the stovetop for a few minutes until it’s all warmed up.
Pin for later:
Slow Cooker Potato and Peanut Butter StewPrint
- 2 pounds Idaho potatoes diced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup peanut butter creamy or crunchy – use your favorite
- Add all of the ingredients into the slow cooker (EXCEPT PEANUT BUTTER), stirring to combine. Close the lid and cook on HIGH for 3 hours, 30 minutes.
- Add peanut butter, stir and cook on HIGH for 30 more minutes.
- Serve as is, or over rice for a heartier meal. Enjoy!