Polish Cabbage and Noodles, or commonly called Haluski, is a quick and easy recipe to make! Buttery egg noodles are cooked with cabbage, onions and carrots, and then topped with sour cream when served! This is an authentic Polish recipe ready in 25 minutes from start to finish!
Cabbage and Noodles Recipe
Cabbage and Noodles is a total comfort food that’s so easy to make! I absolutely love sautéed cabbage, onions and carrots, especially when it’s tossed with buttery noodles.
This is one of those easy meals that I can throw together on weeknights when I’m low on time, but I know everybody is going to love. Serve these buttered noodles with cabbage with a dollop of sour cream or fried onions on top. I really hope you try them soon!
Looking for more Polish Recipes? Try my Slow Cooker Kielbasa and Cabbage, Cabbage Rolls, Cottage Cheese and Noodles, Ham and Cabbage Soup, Creamy Cabbage Casserole, Kielbasa and Brussels Sprouts Skillet, Slow Cooker Cabbage Beef Soup, Creamy Chicken and Noodles and Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Casserole.
What Is Haluski?
Haluski is a basic dish made with fried cabbage and egg noodles. It’s a cheap meal, costing around $5 to feed 6 people.
The History Of Haluski
During the 1800’s women in Europe had an average of six children during their lives, with many families having more than that. Many of these families from Eastern Europe were poor and needed a simple and cheap dish that could feed the entire family (and keep them full).
One of their favorite dishes that Polish Grandmothers (babcia!) and Mothers made was haluski. Haluski is a dish that my mother would make very often so just the smell of it takes me back to my childhood!
Main Ingredients In Haluski
- Egg Noodles: In Poland, haluski is commonly made with dumplings, but nowadays most people make it with egg noodles.
- Cabbage: The other key ingredient is green cabbage. This is meant to be a simple dish but if you want to add in some other vegetables, go for it! I always like to add in carrots and onions too!
How To Make Cabbage And Noodles
Start this recipe by cooking the egg noodles according to package instructions.
Heat the butter in a large skillet or pan, add the cabbage, onion and carrots and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Now, add the noodles to the pan, stir so they combine with the vegetable and butter mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve warm in bowls. For the final touch, if you want to indulge in some creaminess, add a scoop of sour cream on top of your haluski, if desired. Now mix it around. Oh yeah, isn’t that perfection?
I hope you enjoy this Cabbage and Noodles recipe as much as I love it!
Pin for later:
Cabbage and NoodlesPrint
- 1 16 oz bag egg noodles I use the wide/broad ones
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 medium head of cabbage core removed, chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled, chopped
- salt + pepper to taste
- sour cream optional
- Cook egg noodles according to package.
- Melt butter in a large skillet or pan. Add cabbage, onion and carrots and cook over medium-high heat for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir vegetables often to prevent sticking.
- Add cooked egg noodles to pan, stir so combined with the vegetable and butter mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm in bowls. Add a scoop of sour cream on top if desired. Enjoy!
Check out my Cabbage and Noodles web story!