Homemade beef stroganoff made with a sour cream mushroom gravy and juicy beef. Serve it over egg noodles for a delicious family dinner!
Creamy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Looking for something delicious for dinner tonight? Try this Beef Stroganoff! This homemade meal is pretty easy to make, and you might already have all the simple ingredients in your kitchen.
Like a classic beef stroganoff recipe, this family favorite is made with cuts of beef, garlic, onions, mushrooms and a delicious creamy sauce! The gravy is extra creamy due to the seasoned beef broth/cornstarch mixture with added sour cream to make a very smooth sauce.
What’s the best beef for beef stroganoff?
Everyone has their preference for what’s the best beef for stroganoff. Here are the best choices.
- Boneless Sirloin Steak
- Boneless Flank Steak
- Boneless Rib Eye
- Beef Chuck Roast
What is Stroganoff sauce made of?
Stroganoff sauce is made with beef broth that’s been seasoned with butter, garlic and onion slices, and thickened with cornstarch. Finally, mushrooms and sour cream are added in, creating a delicious beefy gravy sauce!
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
Remove any fat from beef and cut into bite size pieces. Season meat with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet, melt butter and sauté garlic. Cook beef and onions until beef is browned.
Pour beef broth into a small bowl and add in the cornstarch, whisking until it’s no longer clumpy.
Add broth mixture to the beef and onion skillet and bring to a boil.
Add in mushrooms, ground mustard and Worcestershire sauce while stirring. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
When done, remove the lid and stir in the sour cream, mixing until the sauce is creamy.
Serve over a plate of egg noodles. Add parsley to garnish if desired and an additional dollop of sour cream on top.
What to serve with beef stroganoff?
- Sour cream: Instead of sour cream you can use greek yogurt or cream cheese.
- Beef: You can use ground beef for a ground beef stroganoff.
- Mushrooms: I love button mushrooms, but any type of mushrooms can work for this recipe, including canned mushrooms if that’s all you have on hand.
I hope you enjoy this Beef Stroganoff recipe soon for dinner!
More Easy Recipes
If you love this easy homemade beef stroganoff recipe, try out these delicious dishes!
- Bangers and Mash with Beef Onion Gravy
- Easy Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Crockpot Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chili
- Instant Pot Lasagna
Pin for later:
Creamy Beef StroganoffPrint
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast or beef sirloin steak boneless
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups button mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 12 ounce bag egg noodles cooked
- parsley to garnish
- Remove any fat from the beef and cut into pieces that are about 1/2 inch thick and 2 inches long. Season beef with salt and pepper, rubbing it in.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt butter with garlic. Sauté the garlic until lightly browned, about 30 seconds. Add the beef and onion slices and cook until beef is browned, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Place beef broth in a small bowl and add cornstarch, whisking until combined and not lumpy.
- Add beef broth/cornstarch mixture to beef in skillet, bringing to a boil. Add mushrooms, ground mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Cover skillet with lid and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in sour cream. Mix until you have a smooth gravy sauce.
- Serve beef and gravy over a plate of egg noodles. Add parsley on top to garnish, along with a big dollop of sour cream.