Easy to make and extra delicious Cabbage Roll Casserole made in 3 hours in the Slow Cooker! These are also called Halupkie!
Halupkie (aka Cabbage Rolls) were a big deal in my house. My Mother is Polish, so the recipe was passed down from generation to generation and ended up being one of my favorite meals she would make. She would add ground beef, rice and tomato sauce into a big piece of cabbage, roll it up, throw it in the fridge overnight to sit and then we would have them for Sunday dinner. Just the smell of cabbage takes me back to my childhood!
This Cabbage Roll Casserole is a direct spin off my Mother’s recipe, but we’re making this in casserole form in the slow cooker. Honestly, cabbage rolls once cut open aren’t the most pretty food, so just think of this as a big bowl of comfort food and see past the non-perfect visuals. A nice warm bowl of cabbage roll casserole is the perfect dinner for a cold Winter night. Even better is that this recipe only takes 3 hours in the slow cooker – so it’ll be ready before you know it!
- 1 pound raw ground beef (if making without meat you can skip this)
- 1 medium size head of cabbage chopped
- 1 medium sized green pepper chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 15 Oz can of diced or stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 15 Oz cans of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked white rice (not instant)
- Add all ingredients except white rice in slow cooker. Stir good to combine. Cook on high for 1 hour. Add rice, stir, and cook on high for 2 more hours. Serve in bowls.
- Servings: 8