Slow Cooker Black Beans are slow cooked with spices for 4 hours. They make delicious tacos!
I’m guilty of it. Yup, the big sin. What’s that you ask? Oh, it’s shameful. Sometimes I buy…. canned black beans. What’s my excuse? They’re so easy, all I have to do is take the lid off, heat them up and they’re ready to go. And yet, that bag of dried black beans sits on the bottom shelf (always) at the grocery store, for half the price and twice the amount and I always look at it for forgiveness “Dry black beans, I’m so sorry, I just don’t have time, I’m so so so sorry”. Then I throw the canned beans in my cart and run out of the aisle before the dried black beans can look at me again.
Once I started growing our own black beans, I started to see the beauty of dried beans. The only thing that was holding me back 100% from joining the dried bean team was the overnight soaking, which I almost always can never remember to do (we aren’t a house that plans our meals in advance). So I came up with this recipe of throwing them in the slow cooker for 4 hours which leads to a yummy bean perfection!
I love this recipe because it’s so easy to make! We’re going to throw all the ingredients in the slow cooker, time it and then eat it!
You’ll need: black beans, garlic, cumin, onion powder, brown sugar, stewed tomatoes and a jalapeno. My guess is you might already have all these ingredients in your pantry!
What comes out of your slow cooker are going to be gorgeous, delicious beans ready for you to serve!
There’s lots of ways to enjoy black beans! You can serve them as a side dish. You can serve them over rice or pasta. You can eat them solo with a nice chunk of corn bread. Or you can serve them for tacos which is my favorite!
Salsa verde is my favorite so I definietely add that on top too!
- 16 oz bag of dried black beans
- 2 15 oz cans of stewed tomatoes (don't drain)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic - chopped
- 1 jalapeno (seeds removed) - chopped
- 4 cups of water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (optional, but recommended)
- Add all your ingredients to slow cooker, stir so everything is combined.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If your beans aren't ready at 4 hours, cook for 30 minutes more.
- If you have leftovers you can refrigerate for a few days or freeze them for months.