Easy, authentic New York Cheesecake recipe that provides the secret to avoid it from cracking! Creamy, delicious and everything else that you dream the best cheesecake should taste like!
New York Cheesecake Recipe
Want authentic New York Cheesecake? Look no further, the recipe is here. This is a no frills easy to make recipe, that makes a creamy cheesecake with smooth sides. If you’ve liked my other NY deli recipes (like Half Sour Pickles) then I know you’re going to love this one too.
Here’s a recipe video I made to show you how easy it is to make! Try not to eat your screen while watching. 🙂
What is the difference between regular and New York Cheesecake?
Well New York Cheesecake is better. Done. Ok, in all seriousness, New York Cheesecake is more rich and usually has more cream cheese and eggs, and adds in sour cream for more creaminess.
What is New York Cheesecake made of?
The pie crust is made from graham cracker crumbs, butter, cinnamon and sugar. The creamy cake is made with cream cheese, sugar, milk, eggs, sour cream, vanilla and flour.
How to Prevent Cheesecake from Cracking
There’s 2 things that will prevent your cheesecake from cracking.
- Don’t over mix your ingredients, especially when you’re using the hand mixer to add in the eggs and sour cream. If the cake is over mixed, it’s going to cause too many air bubbles, so when it bakes the air bubbles will burst and the cheesecake will crack. Mix until smooth, and then stop.
- This recipe uses the process of baking the cheesecake and then keeping it in the oven for 3 hours, with the door closed. This will allow the cheesecake time to become firm and will prevent cracking and the cake from falling apart.
How to Make
Spray a 9 inch springform cheesecake pan, making sure to spray the bottom and the sides completely – this will help to prevent sticking and cracking so make sure to spray it good!
Make the pie crust with crushed graham crackers, melted butter, cinnamon and white sugar. Press into the bottom of your pie pan.
Mix the cream cheese and sugar together using an electric hand mixer.
Add in eggs, milk, sour cream, vanilla and flour and continue mixing until it’s creamy.
Pour this creamy filling into the pan.
Bake the cheesecake in the oven for 1 hour. After 1 hour, turn the oven off completely but don’t take the cake out! Let the cheesecake cool in the oven, with the door closed for 3 hours. This is where the magic happens – trust me.
Serve as is, or add your favorite topping, like cherry pie filling or sliced strawberries.
Place in the refrigerator to chill until you’re ready to serve it. And when it’s time, cut a couple slices and enjoy your New York Cheesecake!
What’s the best way to cut cheesecake?
To cut clean slices of cheesecake, use a hot knife to cut each slice. I like to fill a glass up with hot water and dip the knife blade into it. Alternatively, some people use unflavored dental floss for perfect clean slicing!
Best way to Store Cheesecake
Cover the cheesecake with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate, for up to 1 week. If you don’t use within a week, you can freeze the cheesecake for up to 2 months. Just make sure to thaw at room temperature before serving once you remove from the freezer.
Other Cake & Pie Recipes You’ll Like:
Pin for later:
New York CheesecakePrint
- 1 1/2 cup crushed graham crackers
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 4 8 oz packages cream cheese room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- sliced strawberries for top optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 inch springform pan on the bottom and sides with nonstick spray. (Don’t skip the sides – this will help prevent cracking!).
- In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, butter, cinnamon and ¼ cup white sugar. Press this mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with 1 1/2 cup sugar with an electric hand mixer. Slowly add in the milk and eggs while mixing. Add in sour cream, vanilla and flour and mix until smooth, but careful not to over mix. Pour filling into pan on top of crust.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour. After 1 hour, turn the oven off and let the cake cool in the oven with the door closed for 3 hours. This will prevent cracking.
- Remove from oven, and add strawberries or other topping on top of the cheesecake if desired. Chill in the refrigerator until it’s time to serve it.