You’ll love this vintage crisco pound cake recipe! The secret to a fluffy pound cake is starting with a cold oven!
The Best Pound Cake
This homemade pound cake is fluffy and moist. The key to a successful pound cake is making sure not to overbeat it and to not preheat the oven before baking it. I’m going to walk you through all the steps below on how to make the best pound cake!
Love this cake? You will probably love my Green Tomato Cake too!
Vintage Crisco Pound Cake
This recipe is inspired by the pound cake recipe found on Crisco cans in the 1950’s and 1960’s. If you’re looking for that exact recipe, use 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract instead of all vanilla.
How to Make a Pound Cake
Mix flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
Mix butter, shortening, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and milk together in another bowl.
Now pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients, mixing to combine with a hand mixer, but careful not to overmix.
Pour cake batter into a prepared 10 inch bundt tube pan.
Bake Pound Cake in Cold Oven
Don’t preheat the oven. We want it to start out in a cold oven and rise naturally as the temperature rises.
Place the pan n the cold oven, and now turn the temperature to 300 degrees F. Bake for 1 hour, 50 minutes to 2 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving. You can serve as is, with powdered sugar, or even with a simple vanilla glaze poured on top (yum!).
Got leftovers? Here’s how to freeze cake!
The great thing about pound cake is you can easily change up the flavors. Instead of vanilla extra, try lemon or orange extract.
Do I have to use a bundt pan for pound cake?
Although a bundt pan will give you a pretty cake top, you don’t neeed to use one. Instead you can use a similar width round cake pan or springform pan with a little kitchen hack.
Spray the cake pan and pour the batter into it. Once you smooth out the batter, place a small ceramic ramekin (sides sprayed with nonstick spray) in the middle of the cake. Place dry beans into the ramekin to weigh it down. And just like that, ta-da, you have a DIY bundt pan.
Other Cake Recipes:
Pin for later:
Crisco Pound CakePrint
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup Crisco shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- In a large bowl add flour, baking powder and salt and mix to combine with a spoon.
- In a separate large bowl cream together butter and shortening with a electric hand mixer. Add sugar and continue mixing. Add eggs, vanilla extract and milk and mix until smooth cake mixture forms.
- Add bowl of dry ingredients into wet ingredients bowl, a little at a time, mixing until everything is fully combined.
- Spray a 10 inch tube pan with nonstick spray. Place in the cold oven. Now turn the oven on to 300 degrees F and bake for 1 hour, 50 minutes to 2 hours.
- Remove cake from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing it from the pan and allowing it to cool completely. Serve as is, or with a dusting of powdered sugar on top (my favorite) and enjoy!