Easy to make Blueberry Buckle that tastes just like Coffee Cake! This old fashioned cake recipe has a yummy cinnamon streusel topping that my family thinks is the best! Enjoy for breakfast or dessert. Made in a 8×8 pan, but can be doubled in a 9×13.
Old Fashioned Blueberry Buckle
This recipe just screams “Grandma’s kitchen!” to me. I can’t believe I’m just getting around to sharing this recipe with you because it has been a family favorite in my kitchen for years. I started making this recipe about 10 years ago in the Summer when I was looking for a recipe to use our fresh blueberries in.
And goodness, this is a delicious blueberry recipe! I would rank this recipe up there in my top 5 most requested desserts from family and friends, so I hope you give it a shot and see what all the love is about!
The cake part of this recipe is moist, soft and filled with berries. The crumble part of this cake is made with sugar, flour, cinnamon and cold butter to make a crumbly topping which (trust me!) everyone is going to love. After it bakes for 45 minutes, let it cool and you’ll love how smoothly it’s going to fall out of your pan to cut up into pieces.
Ingredients for Blueberry Buckle
For the buckle (cake):
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
For the crumble topping:
- all purpose flour
Gather up all your ingredients that you’ll need for this recipe.
How to Make Blueberry Buckle
The steps to make this Blueberry Buckle are pretty easy. In less than an hour total, you’re going to have a baked Blueberry Buckle sitting on your kitchen counter!
- Make the batter: You’ll want to make the cake batter by creaming together butter and sugar. Then you’ll add in your egg, flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla and milk. Mix!
- Add the blueberries: You’ll want to gently add in the blueberries so you don’t squash them. I recommend using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon and gently folding them into the batter.
- Make the Cinnamon Streusel Topping: Combine sugar, flour and cinnamon, softened (not melted!) butter. Mix with a fork until you get a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle on top of the cake.
- Bake the Buckle: You’ll bake this in a 8×8 pan at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. If you want to double the recipe, you can bake this a 9×13 pan.
- After baking, allow the Buckle to cool for about 15 minutes. You have the option of cutting into pieces right into the pan (less messy) or if you’re looking to make a statement on the dessert table, you can turn it upside down and gently push it out of the pan. Isn’t it a beauty?
Go ahead and cut into pieces. I like to cut mine into 12 pieces, but you could cut them even smaller and probably get 18 pieces.
This is going to be gone in no time at all so make sure you grab a piece (or 2!) for yourself.
Other Recipes You Might Like:
Pin for later:
Blueberry Buckle Crumble Cake
Easy to make Blueberry Buckle that tastes just like Coffee Cake! This old fashioned cake recipe has a yummy cinnamon streusel topping that my family thinks is the best! Enjoy for breakfast or dessert. Made in a 8x8 pan, but can be doubled in a 9x13.
- 1/4 cup butter - melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 oz pint of fresh blueberries
For the crumble topping
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup slightly softened (but not melted!) butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar together with hand mixer. Add in your egg and beat. Add flour, baking powder, salt and continue to mix. Add vanilla and milk and mix one more time.
- Add in blueberries and mix around with a spoon so blueberries are equally distributed.
- Spray a 8x8 pan with nonstick spray. Pour your cake batter into the pan.
- In a small bowl combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Add in your softened (not melted!) butter and mix with a fork to make a crumble mixture. Once crumbly, sprinkle on top of your cake.
- Bake for 45 to 47 minutes. Let cool for at least 15 minutes. Cut cake into preferred size pieces (I usually cut it into 18 pieces).
To double the recipe, double the ingredients and put in 13 x 9" pan.