Easy to make pasta and peas recipe that both adults and kids love! This one pot Italian pasta meal is ready in 30 minutes.
Italian Pasta and Peas Recipe
The whole family is going to love this simple pasta and peas recipe! It comes together quickly, in less than 30 minutes, made with simple ingredients and easily serves a family of 6. Serve alongside salad, some rolls or Italian bread for a complete meal.
First, onions and garlic are sauted along with pancetta (a Italian bacon) which is a delicious salty meat. To makes things easy I buy the package that is already finely cubed at the grocery store.
Chicken broth gets added into the pot with the vegetables and then pasta added in. I chose ditalini pasta because it’s a small pasta shape, not overwhelming in size, and very kid friendly. Since it’s being cooked in broth it’s very tasty and soaks up all the flavor!
Finally, add in frozen sweet peas (no need to defrost), fresh parsley and grated Romano cheese which makes a creamy sauce. Serve in bowls and enjoy this easy pasta recipe that is sure to become a new favorite!
30 Minute One Pot Meal
Yup, this is a one pot meal ready in 30 minutes! Let’s get cooking!
Add in chicken broth and water. Once boiling, add in pasta and cook until al dente.
Add peas, parsley and grated cheese into pot and give it a good stir to fully mix. Season with additional salt and black pepper if needed.
Serve in bowls, with a little bit of olive oil drizzled on top and some extra grated cheese!
Recipe Help FAQ
- Can I turn this into a vegetarian recipe? Sure, just swap the chicken broth with vegetable broth, and skip the pancetta.
- Can I use something else instead of pancetta? You can use prosciutto or chopped bacon instead – both of them have a good salty taste which fits the recipe good.
- Can I use a different shape of pasta? Absolutely. Try elbow noodles, small shells or alphabet pasta (kids love them!).
- Can I use parmesan cheese instead? Yes, you can use grated parmesan cheese or pecorino romano cheese instead.
- Is it garden season? Add fresh peas or spring peas instead of frozen peas!
I hope you love this dish, it’s one of our favorite easy meals when I need something quick on the weeknights!
Other Quick Pasta Recipes:
Pin for later:
Pasta and Peas (Pasta e Piselli)Print
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 ounces pancetta finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 16 ounce box ditalini
- 10 ounce bag frozen sweet peas (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, pancetta, salt and pepper into the pot and cook until garlic is lightly browned and onions are softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add broth and water, bring to a boil. Add in pasta and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and add in peas, parsley and grated cheese. Stir to fully combine.
- Serve in bowls with a extra little drizzle of olive oil and a little extra sprinkle of grated cheese on top. Enjoy!