Velvety smooth Cream of Pea Soup recipe using fresh or frozen peas. This beautiful green soup is creamy, healthy and easy to make on the stove top!
Peas are one of our favorite vegetables to grow in the garden. Not only do we snack on them daily, but one of our favorite Summer meals is fresh peas on pasta with a little olive oil – it’s simple, easy to make and delicious!
Our other favorite pea recipe is this Cream of Pea Soup. It’s a creamy, velvety smooth soup that’s made with 3 cups of peas and vegetable broth. This soup lets the taste of the fresh peas shine through – you really don’t need much more!
How to Make Creamy Pea Soup
Onion & Garlic. Melt butter in a large soup pot, adding chopped onion and minced garlic to it. Cook until the veggies are soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the peas. Add vegetable broth, peas, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer until the peas are soft.
Blend it. Use a immersion blender to blend until soup is smooth. If you don’t have a immersion blender you can use a regular blender. If using a blender, pour into blender in batches, and pulse until creamy. Please be careful as the soup is very hot! Once finished blending, return back to pot.
Add cream. Add heavy cream to the soup pot and stir to thicken up.
Serve it. Serve in bowls while still hot. For presentation you can add some fresh parsley or mint on top, but it’s not required.
Recipe Help & Tips
Here are some frequently asked questions when it comes to this recipe! Hope this list helps you incase you were looking for help!
Can I use frozen peas instead of fresh peas? You can absolutely use frozen peas too! I often do that in the Winter time when I make this soup.
I don’t have heavy cream, what else can I use? Alternatively if you don’t have heavy cream you can use plain yogurt or sour cream to thicken it up.
Can this be served cold? It can, and it makes a refreshing Summer soup, but I personally prefer it hot.
Can I freeze this soup? You sure can. I like to freeze in glass jars, best used within 6 months.
Pin for later:
Cream of Pea SoupPrint
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups fresh shelled green peas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add chopped onion and minced garlic and cook until soft, stirring frequently so they don’t burn, about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, peas, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer until the peas are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- Using a immersion blender, blend the soup until creamy. Alternatively you could use a blender. If using a blender, carefully put soup in blender in batches, and pulse until creamy, being careful as the soup is very hot. Put soup back in pot if using a blender.
- Add in heavy cream and stir to thicken up. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve. Optional – add some fresh parsley or mint on top before serving.
Leave a Comment