Delicious Moist Buttermilk Cornbread that is so soft and fluffy! This homemade cornbread is the best for dipping in chili and serving with BBQ!
Moist Buttermilk Cornbread
We love cornbread in our house, especially in the Winter months to dip into our chili and soups. This homemade cornbread is so fluffy and moist because we’re using buttermilk. Buttermilk is going to provide a softness, while adding body that really takes it next level on the delicious scale.
When serving your buttermilk cornbread, add a little butter or honey on top. Yum, it’s perfect!
Here’s a video I made to show you how easy this cornbread is to make!
How to make Buttermilk
I practically never have a carton of buttermilk in the refrigerator, so I always make homemade buttermilk. This is much more economical as there’s never any to waste. Here’s how to make it:
Add 1 cup of milk into a measuring cup. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Let it sit for 5 minutes. During this 5 minutes it will start to thicken up and make buttermilk! That was easy, don’t you love it?
How to make Cornbread from Scratch
Prepare a 8×8 baking dish by spraying it with nonstick spray. This cornbread comes out of the pan perfectly.
Pour the mixture into your pan and bake for 35 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting into it. I like to cut into 12 or 16 squares. I always top with a little butter too!
I hope you love this moist buttermilk cornbread as much as my family does! Enjoy!
Want to add a kick to this cornbread? Check out my Jalapeno Cornbread recipe.
What to serve with cornbread?
Pin for later:
Moist Buttermilk CornbreadPrint
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 8×8 pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl mix together butter and sugar with hand mixer until fluffy. Add in eggs, buttermilk, baking soda, salt, flour and cornmeal and continue mixing until well combined.
- Pour cornbread mixture into the pan. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before cutting into slices. Serve with butter or honey on top.