This lightly spiced, tossed Mexican corn salad is made with canned black beans, hominy, and diced tomatoes. It’s ready within 5 minutes! A lightened-up version of corn salad, it’s made without mayonnaise or sour cream. Serve it as a side salad, use as a corn dip.
Healthy Mexican Corn Salad Recipe
Finally! A Mexican corn salad without mayo! I have to admit something to you, I have a little (ok, big) fear of sour cream and mayo. Just the thought of them makes me grimace a little bit. So you can imagine my feelings whenever someone makes a beautiful looking corn salad but it has mayo or sour cream in it – um, I’m sorry but I’ll have to pass on it. Your salad scares me.
This Mexican salad with black beans and corn is a much healthier version because it doesn’t use sour cream or mayo -it has vegetables, lime juice, olive oil and cumin. During Summer, this is one of my favorite recipes using fresh and canned corn!
Don’t have any diced tomatoes? Try my Corn salsa without tomatoes too!
What Is Mexican Corn Salad Made Of?
For this recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Corn – Note: You can use canned corn to make this really easy, or if it’s corn season, slice off the kernels of 4 ears of corn. The corn will taste so sweet and delicious! Tip: have too much garden corn? Here’s how to freeze fresh corn so you can enjoy it year round!
- Black Beans
- Ro*Tel diced tomatoes – Note: You can use any type of Ro*Tel diced tomatoes you want, you can even use regular diced tomatoes if you don’t have Ro*Tel.
- Green bell pepper
- Lime juice
- Olive oil
- Ground Cumin
Tip: If you want a spicy corn salad add 1/2 to 1 whole (depending on how spicy you want it) finely chopped up jalapeño pepper to the salad.
What is hominy?
Hominy is whole corn kernels that have been soaked in an alkali solution of lye or lime, to soften. During the process, the outer hulls are softened and then removed.
When you buy hominy you’ll notice immediately how much puffier and heartier they are than corn kernels. Hominy is about 2-3 times the size of a corn kernel! Hominy has become a favorite of ours so we love hominy corn recipes like this one (and chicken tortilla soup!).
How to Make Corn Salad
Add all of the ingredients into a large bowl or serving dish.
Mix to fully coat all the ingredients.
Serve and enjoy this Mexican corn salad without mayo!
Can I make Corn Salad in advance?
Yes, you can! After making it, wrap in plastic wrap or cover with a lid and place in the refrigerator.
When you’re ready to serve it, remove from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes so it’s not super cold. I recommend adding a little bit (around a teaspoon) of olive oil to it and mixing to freshen it up before serving.
How to Serve Corn Salad
You can serve this hominy corn recipe in a few different ways! Serve as a side dish to any meal, use as a corn dip with tortilla chips, add to nachos or add to my favorite tacos: Instant Pot Cherry Tomato Chicken Tacos, Baked Black Bean Tacos, Chicken Fajitas or Shrimp Fajitas!
Pin for later:
5-Minute Mexican Corn SaladPrint
- (2) 15 ounce cans corn drained (or 4 ears fresh corn – kernels sliced from cob)
- (1) 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- (1) 15 ounce can hominy rinsed and drained
- (1) 10 ounce can Ro*Tel Diced Tomatoes
- 1 small green bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- Place all the of the ingredients into a bowl and mix so everything is coated.
- Serve immediately as a corn salad, corn dip with tortilla chips, or salsa topping for tacos. If you are making this in advance, refrigerate it until ready to serve.