These Dairy Free Muffins taste just like mini pancakes – no milk or butter needed! Topped with a sweet cinnamon sugar crumble, these muffins are perfect for breakfast or a snack!
Dairy free muffin recipe
What do you get when dairy free pancakes and banana muffins collide? Dairy Free Pancake Muffins! These delicious, fluffy, and cinnamon-y muffins use almond milk instead of regular milk and don’t require any butter. Serve them with some maple syrup on top to replicate your favorite breakfast!
I’ll be the first to admit that I have a bit of a muffin addiction. I love coming up with fun and unique flavors, like Mini Blueberry Muffins, Birthday Cake Muffins, and Monkey Bread Muffins. They make breakfast and snacking so much more enjoyable for both adults and kids.
These pancake muffins are extra special because they’re deliciously dairy free, just as soft and fluffy as a regular pancake, and perfect for breakfast, brunch, and snacks. Each one is topped with a sweet cinnamon and brown sugar crumble to take each bite up a notch. You and your family are sure to love each soft, sweet, and fluffy bite!
What are dairy free muffins made of?
Dairy free muffins are easy to make with a handful of baking staples. This is what you need:
- All purpose flour
- Granulated white sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Almond milk
- Vegetable oil
The muffins are finished with an oil free cinnamon sugar crumble on top, similar to what you’d find on a coffee cake muffin. It’s really easy to mix together using:
- All purpose flour
- Brown sugar
How to make dairy free pancake muffins
The muffins come together quickly and are topped with a sweet and oil free cinnamon crumble before heading into the oven. The process is simple:
Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
Mix the almond milk, egg, oil, and vanilla extract in another bowl and pour into the dry ingredients bowl, stirring until combined.
Spoon the muffin batter into a prepared muffin pan.
Make the crumble by mixing the flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, and applesauce together in a bowl.
Spoon the crumble on top of each muffin, then bake until sides are golden brown.
Sprinkle additional sugar crumble or drizzle maple syrup on top, then enjoy!
Tips and variations
- Gluten free muffins – Substitute the all purpose flour in the muffins and crumble for a 1:1 gluten free flour mix.
- Vegan muffins – Simply substitute the egg for 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons of water) to make these muffins vegan-friendy.
- Oil free muffins – Replace the vegetable oil with applesauce.
- Instead of the cinnamon crumble – Top the muffins with anything you like in your regular pancakes, like blueberries, raspberries, vanilla glaze, chocolate chips, or banana slices!
- If you have an aversion to nuts – Replace the almond milk with another unsweetened dairy free milk, like oat or soy milk.
- Switch up the flavor – Instead of cinnamon muffins, you can add lemon zest, blueberries, pumpkin puree, or chocolate chips to customize your muffin flavor.
Storing and freezing
To store: The muffins will stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
To freeze: Place the cooled muffins in a sealed freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Allow them to thaw at room temperature or in the fridge.
More Dairy Free Ingredients:
- Vegan Chocolate Donuts
- Creamy Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes
- Chocolate Banana Ice Cream
- Watermelon Smoothie with Strawberries
- Chocolate Banana Smoothie
- Dairy Free Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies
Pin for later:
Dairy Free Pancake MuffinsPrint
For the muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the crumble
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons applesauce
For the muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a mini muffin pan with nonstick spray. This recipe will make 24 mini muffins.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl, mixing well.
- In another bowl, mix together milk, egg, oil and vanilla until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients into the bowl with dry ingredients. Mix to fully combine, until a muffin batter forms.
- Spoon the muffin mixture into the mini muffin pan.
For the crumble
- Combine flour, cinnamon and brown sugar in a small bowl. Stir in applesauce and mix.
- Sprinkle crumble mixture to the top of each muffin evenly.
- Bake muffins for 10-12 minutes, or until the sides of muffins are slightly golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before popping them out.
- Serve as is, or sprinkle with additional sugar if preferred. You can also pour maple syrup on top of them if serving for breakfast!
If you are making regular size muffins, bake for 25-26 minutes.
Leave a Comment