Gingerbread Cookies with Powdered Sugar sprinkled on top are one of my favorite holiday cookies. Unlike most gingerbread cookie recipes this one doesn’t require you to chill the dough. Recipe makes 2 dozen cookies.
This week has been rough so I baked you some cookies. Not just any cookies, these are one of my favorite holiday treats, Gingerbread Cookies with Powdered Sugar sprinkled on top. They have a gingerbread taste that everyone will love, especially around the holidays. Since I’m terrible at decorating gingerbread men with icing instead I went the easy route of sprinkling powdered sugar which makes a pretty cookie.
You can make these cookies crunchy or chewy depending on bake time. I personally prefer a soft chewy cookie, especially when slightly dipped in a cup of milky tea. Yum!
The star of these cookies are the spices that give it that gingerbread taste. We’ll be adding cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg to the dough which provides a gingery, slightly spicy taste to these cookies.
Most gingerbread cookie recipes call for chilling the dough but I don’t always have time for that, so this recipe requires no chilling. How we’re able to do that is by adding a little extra flour to the dough to make it just perfect for rolling out. Instead of rolling out on a floured surface, I like rolling out on a powdered sugar surface as it doesn’t add any additional flour to the taste of the cookies. For easy cleanup, I turn a big cookie sheet upside down and roll out onto that. This prevents you from having to scrub the top of your table or island if you roll out directly on that.
Roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thick. This is a good thickness to prevent the dough from sticking when you roll it out. Then transfer to cookie sheet.
Bake for 10-12 minutes. 10 minutes if you like a soft chewy cookie or 12 minutes if you like a crunchy, harder cookie. Let cool and then sprinkle some powdered sugar on top of each.
These are perfect holiday cookies for baking with your family as well as giving away as presents!
- 1/2 cup butter - melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups + 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl cream together butter and sugar with hand mixer. Add molasses and egg yolk and continue mixing. Add flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg. Mix.
- Prepare your dough area. Sprinkle powdered sugar lightly out onto a clean surface. Sprinkle powdered sugar on rolling pin. Roll the dough out into 1/2 inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter of your choice cut out the cookies Continue until all the dough is gone.
- Place on greased cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes - shorter if you want a soft chewy cookie, longer if want a crunchy cookie.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Sprinkle with powered sugar.
- Recipe makes 2 dozen cookies.
- This is a no chilling needed recipe but if you roll your dough out and you are finding it too sticky to work with then place it back in the bowl, cover with plastic and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.