Easy to make homemade sugar cookies that are only 51 calories each. This simple recipe makes light and airy sugar cookies, perfect for dessert and Christmas cookies!
Homemade Sugar Cookies
These light and airy Homemade Sugar Cookies are going to hit the spot just right. You guys know I have a thing for super soft cookies and these ones definitely fit that category. This is a classic sugar cookie recipe, but these are so light and moist inside. And even better, they’re only 51 calories each. That means you can eat 10 of them, right? Ha! Just kidding. (maybe).
Homemade sugar cookies are a classic recipe that never goes out of style! They are great year round, but I especially crave them around the holidays.
What Makes These The Best Sugar Cookies?
The holidays are a super busy time, but I ALWAYS make time for baking tons of festive cookies and at the top of my list are these Homemade Sugar Cookies! I can remember every year baking with my mom, and I really look forward to this special time with my daughter too.
This sugar cookie is the best because not only are these absolutely irresistible, they are also so easy. Everything gets mixed in one bowl, these don’t require any chill time and the ingredients are basic and ones that you probably have on hand. These also turn out fabulous every time I make them! So, let’s get to baking!
Ingredients For Soft Sugar Cookies:
Nothing too fancy or complicated here! This is a basic sugar cookie recipe with the typical ingredients including butter, sugar, eggs, flour and vanilla. However, these cookies include two ingredients you often don’t see in sugar cookie recipes – vegetable oil and confectioner’s sugar (powdered sugar). Both ingredients work together to give these cookies that perfect light and airy bite.
How Do You Make Homemade Sugar Cookies?
To make the best sugar cookies you need to have the perfect dough. Start this recipe by using a hand mixer to cream together sugars, butter and oil until smooth. Beat in egg, vanilla, salt and baking powder. Next, mix in the flour until it is just combined.
With the dough complete, scoop it out and roll it into 1-inch balls with your hands. Place each ball on a cookie sheet that has been greased or lined with silicone baking mats. Use the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar to flatten the balls to ¼-inch thickness. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes or until the cookie edges are lightly browned. Remove and allow cookies to cool.
You can leave the cookies as-is or make them a little more festive by adding frosting or just some colorful sprinkles.
Tips For Homemade Sugar Cookies:
- When rolling the balls of dough, try to keep the balls completely smooth to get minimal cracking during baking.
- Sugar cookies stay fresh for a good amount of time. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to about 2 weeks.
- Use a cookie dough scoop or measuring spoon to scoop the dough. This will ensure that the cookies are all the same size and they will bake more evenly.
- You can add your favorite flavor extracts for a fun twist on the classic recipe. Try lemon, almond, maple or orange!
How Do You Keep These Sugar Cookies Light & Airy?
The best way to ensure that these cookies are soft, light and airy is to be very careful to not over-bake them. When they are done cooking, they will be just a tiny bit golden brown around the edges. Bake them too long and you’ll end up with crispy sugar cookies. Once cookies have cooled, be sure to store them in a covered container to keep their light texture.
I couldn’t let the holidays go by without sharing this family favorite recipe with you! If you have baking plans, you definitely need to give this recipe a try!
You’re going to LOVE these homemade sugar cookies! They’re simple, delicious, and perfectly tender with just the right amount of sweetness. They are definitely my go-to for cookie exchanges, bake sales and homemade gifting!
More Holiday Cookies To Try:
Pin for later:
Homemade Sugar CookiesPrint
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- additional sugar to coat
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two baking sheets or put down nonstick silicone baking mats.
- In a large bowl cream together sugars, butter and oil until smooth. Beat in egg, vanilla, salt and baking powder.
- Mix in flour and continue to mix until combined.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Using the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar to flatten the balls to 1/4 inch thick.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until very light brown.
- Remove and cool.