Sugar Free Apple Muffins Recipe! They are only 48 calories a piece! These easy to make healthy muffins are perfect for apple picking season! I love them to work for breakfast or a afternoon snack! Makes 20 mini muffins.
I am taking a break from sugar right now and I have to tell you, it’s hard. Everything has sugar in it! Or if you go to the grocery store and read the labels, it seems like nearly everything does, even food that you wouldn’t have guessed.
English muffins? Sugar. Those delicious “natural” raspberry preserves? So much sugar! Multigrain bread? Sugar. Spaghetti Sauce? Sugar (make your own!). Granola and Crackers? Sugar. It’s in everything!
How to Make Healthy Muffins
These healthy apple muffins are only 48 calories a piece, making them a great option for breakfast or a afternoon snack!
It’s nearly impossible to find a sugar free baked good in the grocery store so I started making my own with simple ingredients. When I started researching sugar free recipes I was kind of put off by the complex, expensive ingredients that so many people were using.
If you are just starting to go sugar free you probably don’t want to break the bank buying these ingredients because you aren’t sure if it’s going to work out or not. So I made these muffins with ingredients that you probably have already in your kitchen.
There is no sugar in these muffins – none! To keep them tasty we are usiing fresh blueberries and unsweetened almond milk. These are much healthier substitutes for sugar, honey and butter. Blueberries are naturally sweet, so we don’t need the extra sugar!
Healthy Apple Muffins
For this recipe you’ll need one small apple cut up, preferably a tart apple, but use your favorite. I picked some apples on the land this past weekend when I found a few apple trees that I didn’t know existed. The land is always giving us new surprises, pretty cool, right?
The batter for these muffins will be a little blueish due to the smashed blueberries. I love using my mini muffin pan for these!
Pin for later:
Sugar Free Apple MuffinsPrint
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour you can use all purpose if you want
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup blueberries smashed
- 1/2 cup almond milk I recommend Unsweetened Vanilla or Unsweetened Vanilla/Coconut
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup apples - peeled and chopped this equals one small apple
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray mini muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Make a well in the middle of the bowl and add smashed blueberries, milk, egg and vanilla. Mix with a fork until all ingredients are combined.
- Add apples and stir gently.
- Spoon batter into muffin pan evenly.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, until the sides of your muffins are slightly golden brown.
If you are making regular size muffins, bake for 20-22 minutes.