4 hour Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Potato Soup that is so comforting and creamy without the heavy cream! Your family be finishing their bowls and asking for more!
Creamy broccoli potato soup
Are you craving a big bowl of comfort food right now? Perfect! This Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Potato Soup is the ultimate creamy, cheesy, and hearty meal that will warm you up in an instant.
I love making soups and stews in the slow cooker because there’s no babysitting involved. Just like my Slow Cooker Cauliflower Soup, Slow Cooker Cabbage Beef Soup and Crockpot Idaho Potato and Bacon Soup this broccoli cheese potato soup is a set it and forget it recipe!
Plus, the pantry-staple ingredients are simple and accessible, meaning you can throw this recipe together in a pinch or whenever you’re out of dinner ideas.
Ingredients (No heavy cream!):
Even though this broccoli cheddar soup is made without heavy cream, every spoonful is sensationally creamy. You’d never know it was made with just 7 easy ingredients!
- potatoes, peeled and diced
- chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- shredded cheddar cheese
How to make broccoli cheese potato soup in the slow cooker
Making broccoli cheese potato soup in the slow cooker is so easy. Simply toss everything in the crockpot for 4 hours and get on with your day! Here’s how it’s done step-by-step:
Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray before adding the potatoes, onions and broth.
Cook on High for 4 hours.
In the last 30 minutes of the cooking time, stir the broccoli into the soup mixture.
Whisk the cornstarch and milk together in a small bowl. Stir it into the soup in the last 15 minutes of the cooking time.
To finish, stir the shredded cheese into the soup until it melts.
Ladle the broccoli soup into bowls and enjoy!
Tips and variations
- Add meat – This recipe can be made with pre-cooked shredded chicken, meatballs, leftover turkey, sausage, or diced ham. Just stir the meat into the soup when you add the broccoli.
- Vegetarian broccoli soup – Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Toppings – Top each bowl with croutons, more shredded cheese, parmesan, chives, freshly cracked pepper, or roasted potatoes.
- Serving suggestions – Every bowl of this easy creamy soup must be served with dinner rolls, pretzel rolls or slow cooker bread for dipping!
Once the soup is cooled, store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Leftover soup will stay good for 4 days.
To reheat, heat the soup in the microwave for 1 or 2 minutes or add it to a saucepan over medium heat until warmed through.
Frequently asked questions
Should I use fresh or frozen broccoli?
Either! I used fresh broccoli but frozen broccoli will work too. If using frozen broccoli, add with 15 minutes left.
Can you make broccoli cheese potato soup in the Instant Pot?
You can! Place the onions, potatoes, and broth in the Instant Pot, cover with the lid, and seal the valve. Press “Manual/Pressure Cook” and cook on High for 3 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes before letting the valve release any remaining pressure.
Open the lid when it’s done and turn on Saute mode to bring the soup up to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook until softened. Next, add the cornstarch slurry and cheese, and stir until the soup is thick and the cheese is melted.
Can you freeze potato broccoli cheese soup?
Even though this broccoli cheese soup is made without heavy cream, it still contains milk, cheese, and potatoes, which don’t always reheat well after being frozen. The milk and broth tend to separate when they freeze and the potatoes could turn out mushy. Instead, store any leftovers in the fridge.
Looking for more comforting soups to try?
- The Best Cheeseburger Soup
- Frozen Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Slow Cooker Italian Chicken Soup
- Cheesy Vegetable Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Creamy Sweet Pepper Soup
- Homemade Wonton Soup
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Kielbasa Sausage and Kale Soup
Pin for later:
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Potato Soup (4 hours)Print
- 5 cups potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 large head broccoli chopped into florets
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Spray a slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add potatoes, onions and broth into slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- With 30 minutes remaining add broccoli to slow cooker and stir.
- In a small bowl mix cornstarch and milk together. With 15 minutes remaining add cornstarch mixture to slow cooker.
- When 4 hours is up, add shredded cheese and mix until melted.
- Serve in bowls. Enjoy! Have leftovers? Once the soup is cooled, store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Leftover soup will stay good for 4 days.