Easy to make Apple Brownie Bars that uses 1 cup of applesauce and have a yummy cinnamon sugar spice crumble on top. These treats are perfect to make in the Fall when you go apple picking with your family!
During the Fall, we always rent a car and head Upstate to go apple picking. There we run around the apple ochard, sampling all the varieties and picking bags filled with apples.
Once home, I start my apple recipe adventures, making everything from homemade applesauce, to apple waffles, apple pie pancakes, apple chips, apple juice, apple baby food and more. As you can see, I go a little apple crazy!
But one of my absolute favorite apple recipes are these Applesauce Brownie Bars. I really couldn’t pick if they’re a brownie, or a bar, as I think they’re the perfect combo of the 2! They’re super fluffy inside with a delicous cinnamon sugar crumble on top. They use `1 cup applesauce, making them a delicicious Fall apple treat!
Apple Brownie Ingredients
Of course you need applesauce to make these brownies but you’ll also need:
- butter (softened)
- all purpose flour
- pumpkin pie spice
- baking soda
for the cinnamon sugar you’ll need:
- brown sugar (tip: make homemade brown sugar!)
How to make Applesauce Bars
Spray a 8×8 baking pan with nonstick spray.
Mix butter, sugar, egg, applesauce, flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in a bowl until smooth. Pour this mixture into your baking pan.
Make the cinnamon sugar crumble using brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter. The key to a good crumble is to make sure you use chilled butter and that you cut it into the sugar mixture a little at a time. You can use butter staight from the refrigerator or freezer. Once it’s made, sprinkle on top of the brownie mixture.
Bake for 28-30 minutes and then allow to cool before cutting it up into 9 or 12 brownie bars.
How to Store
Store brownies in an air tight container at room temperature. These are best eaten within 2 days. If you’d like to freeze them, cut into brownies and then place in freezer bags. Here they will freeze well for 4 months.
I hope you enjoy these applesauce brownie bars! Happy Fall baking everyone! 🙂
Pin for later:
Applesauce Brownie BarsPrint
For the bars
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the crumble
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the brownie bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray nonstick spray to 8×8 pan.
- In a large bowl mix butter, sugar, egg and applesauce. Add flour, pumpkine pie spice, baking soda and salt and stir until smooth.
- Pour mixture into your baking dish and use a spatula to flatten out the top.
- Prepare the crumble (directions below) and sprkinkle on top.
- Put into the oven and bake 28-30 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting up into 12 brownie bars.
For the crumble topping:
- Combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in your butter, a little at a time until it makes a crumbly mixture.