Push the potato chips aside because these 2-ingredient Homemade Baked Apple Chips will be your new favorite snack! Sprinkled with a little sea salt, these healthy chips are so addicting and easy to make in the oven or air fryer.
Quick and easy homemade apple chips
Make these Homemade Baked Apple Chips your new favorite go-to snack! Perfect for fall, an after school snack, or a way to use up tons of leftover apples, this healthy treat is easy to make in the oven using just 2 ingredients: apples and salt.
Apples are sliced super thin, sprinkled with salt, and then left to bake in the oven for just over an hour. They crisp up and turn golden brown, transforming into a crispy, never chewy, and subtly sweet snack. You can add as many fun flavors to them as well, like cinnamon, nutmeg, or cinnamon sugar.
Enjoy a big bowl along with my Garlic Butter Pumpkin Seeds, Spinach Chips and Cantaloupe Chips. All of these healthy snacks are seriously addicting!
Are apple chips healthy?
Apples are high in fiber, vitamin C, and antioxidants. So the next time you’re craving a big bowl of snacks, turn to these healthy apple chips instead of the potato chips!
What kind of apples are best for apple chips?
You can make apple chips out of almost any kind of apple. I recommend (if possible) using freshly picked orchard apples for the very best flavors. Otherwise, any of these apples will do:
- Granny Smith
- Golden Delicious
- Red Delicious
- Pink Lady
How to bake apple chips in the oven
This is a fairly hands-off recipe. Once the apples are prepped and sliced, you simply have to just wait for them to bake! It’s easy peasy:
Use an apple corer to remove the core of each apple. Slice them into very thin, consistent slices using a sharp knife or mandolin. If you don’t have a corer, that’s ok, just remove the seeds and slice apples thin.
Line the slices in an even layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle them with sea salt.
Bake the apples for 45 minutes. Take them out of the oven, flip, sprinkle with more salt, and bake for another 30 to 45 minutes.
Once the apple chips are nice and crispy, let them cool completely on a wire rack. Dig in and enjoy!
Air fryer apple chips
You can easily use your air fryer to make apple chips instead of the oven, but the process is more hands on because you’ll need to work in batches. Here’s how it’s done:
- Place the cored and sliced apples in an even layer in the air fryer basket and sprinkle salt on top.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390ºF. Cook the apples for about 8 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Take them out of the air fryer if they’re nice and crisp or let them cook for another minute or two. Let them cool completely, then enjoy!
Tips and tricks
- Slice ‘em thin! A mandolin will be your best friend when slicing the apples really thin. They’ll turn out chewy rather than crisp if you slice them any thicker than 1/8 of an inch.
- Salty or sweet? All you need is a sprinkle of salt to make these chips more salty and savory. If you prefer them sweeter, replace the salt with cinnamon, powdered sugar, nutmeg, or cinnamon sugar.
- Peel or no peel? I like to leave the peel on for a hint of color but you’re welcome to peel the apples before slicing if you’d like.
How long do they last?
To store, keep your baked apple chips in an airtight container or ziploc bag at room temperature for up to 6 days.
Looking for more healthy snacks to try?
Pin for later:
Baked Apple ChipsPrint
- 4 apples
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Remove the core of each apple and cut into very thin slices, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Arrange apple slices on baking sheet, making sure not to overlap. Sprinkle a small amount of sea salt on top of each apple slice.
- Bake for 45 minutes, flip and sprinkle a bit more sea salt on other side.
- Bake for 35-45 additional minutes, or until crisp.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Leave a Comment