Glazed Carrot Cake Donuts taste just like cake! Recipe uses shredded fresh carrots, perfect for garden season. Recipe make 1 dozen donuts.
This Winter we got very lucky with our carrots. We didn’t have high hopes for them but upon one Spring cleanup day we were surprised to find pounds of carrots hiding under the soil waiting for us to find them. It was a giant surprise and it created some giant garden smiles
Aren’t they just beauties? I just can’t get enough of fresh carrots. There’s nothing like the taste of a carrot that was just picked. Sometimes I nibble on one as soon as I pick it, I just can’t help myself. So I took the carrots down to the kitchen and pondered… What to make? I was craving carrots for dinner so I made some brown sugar glazed carrots that were delicious but I wanted to make a dessert with them too.
I had a real craving for carrot cake but I didn’t have everything on hand. Then I thought to myself: DONUTS! Then I thought..
CARROT CAKE DONUTS!
These donuts taste just like carrot cake with a sweet sugary glaze on top. Think of a bakery glazed donut + a carrot cake…. all as fresh as possible. The freshness of the carrots really make these donuts something special and you really get a nice taste of the carrots with the sweetness of the donuts.
These donuts are definitely a keeper in my garden notebook now. I can’t wait for our next carrot harvest to make (and devour!) some more Carrot Cake Donuts!
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 ¼ cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cups confectioners powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat egg in large bowl. Add orange juice, butter, vanilla and sugar, beat well.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice and mix till moistened.
- Gently fold in shredded carrots.
- Fill donut pan up.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. Let cool for 2 minutes.
- Combine milk and vanilla in a saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- Stir in confectioners powdered sugar into milk mixture. Whisk slowly, until well combined.
- Remove from heat and dip each donut into glaze.
- Set on rack until cool enough to eat.
- Makes 12 donuts.