These Chocolate Peanut Butter Blossoms have everything you look for in a rich and indulgent dessert! Made with peanut butter, chocolate chips, and a Hershey’s kiss on top, their ultra-chocolatey and nutty flavors make them the ultimate holiday cookie.
Easy chocolate blossom cookies
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – chocolate and peanut butter is the best combination! Not only are these Chocolate Peanut Butter Blossoms a delectable dessert, but they taste salty and sweet to get the best of both worlds in every bite.
Chocolate peanut butter blossoms are easy to make and are perfect for the holidays. Instead of my usual Peanut Butter Blossoms and Chocolate Covered Cherry Blossoms, I loaded these holiday favorites with 3 layers of chocolate:
- Chocolate chips
- Cocoa powder
- And a Hershey’s kiss on top!
These chocolatey blossoms would be perfect for holiday bake sales, to gift to friends and family, or to put out for Santa. They’re guaranteed to make any chocolate lover’s day!
What are blossom cookies?
Traditional blossom cookies (sometimes known as “Hershey kiss cookies”) are made by rolling peanut butter cookie dough in granulated sugar. Once they come out of the oven, the cookies are topped with the signature Hershey’s kiss. Blossom cookies are believed to have originated in Gibsonburg, Ohio in 1957 as an entry into the Pillsbury Bake-Off contest. Over the years, many bakers have tweaked the original recipe to include a wide variety of fun and festive flavors.
How to make chocolate peanut butter blossom cookies
These 30-minute Hershey chocolate blossom cookies are easy to make using simple ingredients and only one bowl. They’re a real crowd pleaser, so make sure you bring a batch to parties, holidays, and bake sales!
Beat the butter, peanut butter, sugars, egg, vanilla, and chocolate chips together in a bowl.
Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl and mix until a stiff dough forms.
Use a spoon or a cookie scoop to scoop out 1-inch balls of dough and roll them in your hands to even them out. Roll each ball in a small bowl of granulated sugar before placing them on a cookie sheet. Bake in a 350°F oven for 14-15 minutes.
While the cookies are baking, grab your youngest helper and tell them for every 20 kisses they open, they can eat one. This is a great deal for everyone involved! 😉
Take the warm cookies out of the oven and immediately press a chocolate kiss into each one. Let them cool slightly before serving and enjoying!
Tips and substitutions
- Unlike traditional peanut butter cookies, there’s no need to flatten the balls of cookie dough or make a criss-cross pattern before they go into the oven. They’ll spread nicely on their own.
- Don’t press the chocolate kiss into the cookies before baking or else they’ll melt in the oven.
- Gluten free – I haven’t tested it but I would imagine that you could make these peanut butter blossoms gluten free by subbing out the all purpose flour with a 1:1 gluten-free flour blend.
- Don’t overmix the dough – Continuing to beat the dough after all of the ingredients have come together will result in tough and dry cookies.
- Storing – I recommend storing any of your leftover blossom cookies in an airtight container. These cookies will stay fresh on the counter for up to 1 week.
Do you need to chill the dough?
The purpose of chilling cookie dough is to prevent your cookies from spreading too much in the oven. Since these peanut butter blossoms spread the perfect amount on their own, there’s no need to chill the dough.
Can you freeze blossom cookies?
Yes! To freeze, place your cooled blossom cookies into an airtight container or a freezer bag and keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. Enjoy your leftover blossom cookies frozen or allow them to thaw on the counter before eating.
Looking for more irresistible cookie recipes?
- Cream Cheese Christmas Sugar Cookies
- Snowball Cookies
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- Christmas Donut Cookies
- Christmas Shortbread Cookies
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Pin for later:
Chocolate Peanut Butter BlossomsPrint
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- sugar to roll cookies in
- 24 hershey’s kisses
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mix butter, peanut butter, sugar, brown sugar, egg, vanilla and chocolate chips with a mixer.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl and continue to mix until combined.
- Shape cookie mix into 1 inch balls and roll in extra sugar to cover. Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes. Immediately after taking out of the oven, lightly press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie. Allow cookies to cool, the kiss will harden as it cools.