Easy to make, one-pot chicken tortilla soup recipe. Packed with chicken and beans, and covered with cheese on top, this Mexican meal will become your new favorite go-to family meal.
Tortilla soup recipe
This rich, creamy, and tomatoey Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup is easy to make and a treat to eat! Made with shredded chicken, tomatoes, black beans, green chilis, plenty of spices, and my favorite secret ingredient, hominy, this one-pot soup always turns out to be a flavorful family favorite.
This Mexican chicken tortilla soup recipe is delicious all on its own but pairing it with a few Mexican side dishes never hurts! Serve each bowl with Corn Salad and Tomato Salsa with chips on the side and add avocado, cheese, and roasted tomatillo salsa on top for plenty of flavor.
Not only is this simple tortilla soup delicious, but it’s also extremely versatile. Throw in any protein you love, swap the shredded chicken for oven baked rotisserie chicken, or make it vegan-friendly with a few simple substitutions. The possibilities are truly endless!
How to make chicken tortilla soup
This easy tortilla soup is easy to make in just one pot. Made with simple and nutritious ingredients, you can always count on this recipe when you need something warm and comforting for dinner. Here’s how it’s done:
Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot (sidenote: I love this pot!), add the garlic, and sauté until lightly browned.
Next, pour the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, chili powder, and oregano into the pot and stir everything together. Bring the broth up to a simmer.
Stir in the shredded chicken, hominy, black beans, corn, and chopped green chilis. Simmer the soup until all of the ingredients have been heated through.
Ladle your finished tortilla soup into bowls. Add any toppings you like, then enjoy!
Tortilla soup toppings
The bold and zesty flavors in each spoonful of tortilla soup call for all kinds of fresh toppings, such as:
- Sour cream
- Pico de gallo
- Lime wedges
- Chipotle crema
- Shredded pepper jack cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Tortilla chips
- Red onion
- Fresh lime juice
- Hot sauce
Mexican tortilla soup variations
- Swap out the protein – I love the mild flavor of shredded chicken, but steak, chorizo, barbacoa, leftover turkey, or Mexican-spiced tofu would all be delicious alternatives.
- Make it vegan – This soup is naturally dairy free, egg free, and nut free, and you can easily make it vegetarian or vegan by swapping out the chicken broth for veggie broth and omitting the shredded chicken.
- Use frozen corn instead of canned – In a pinch, you can easily use frozen corn instead of canned.
- Different add-ins – Jalapenos, red onion, yellow onion, fresh cilantro, cumin, fresh ground black pepper, and bell peppers are all great additions to tortilla soup.
Frequently asked questions
What is hominy? What if I can’t find it?
Hominy is the secret ingredient in this tortilla chicken soup! It’s a canned corn product made by soaking whole corn kernels in a lime solution until they turn chewy and plump. The flavor is similar to fresh corn but is more earthy and doughy.
You can usually find it with the cans of beans at the supermarket, or specifically it’s usually always with Goya products. If you can’t find hominy, feel free to omit it from the recipe.
What goes well with tortilla soup?
Try pairing this tortilla soup with some of your favorite Mexican and Southwestern side dishes. I like to serve each bowl alongside my Mexican arugula salad, jalapeno buttermilk biscuits, leftover cilantro lime rice, or Instant Pot black beans. You can also just serve it without any sides as it’s plenty filling!
Can chicken tortilla soup be made in the slow cooker?
This recipe is so quick and easy that I didn’t even need to try it in the crockpot! I recommend you save yourself the cleanup and stick to the stovetop method.
How can I thicken my tortilla soup?
You can thicken your soup by making a masa or cornstarch and water slurry, then stir it into the finished tortilla soup.
Can you freeze tortilla soup?
Absolutely! Transfer the cooked and cooled soup to an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 6 months.
Looking for more cozy and hearty soup recipes?
- Stovetop Taco Soup
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- Homemade Wonton Soup
- Kielbasa Sausage and Kale Soup
- Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Pin for later:
Chicken Tortilla SoupPrint
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- (1) 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast shredded up
- (1) 15 oz can white hominy
- (1) 15 oz can can of black beans rinsed/drained
- (1) 15 oz can can of corn
- (1) 4 oz can chopped green chilies
- In a large pot, add vegetable oil over medium high heat. Once heated up add minced garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, chili powder and oregano, stirring well. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken, hominy, black beans, corn and chopped green chilies. Stir again and simmer for 20 more minutes.
- Serve into bowl with optional toppings such as sliced avocado, shredded cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips or fresh cilantro.