Your search for the best — and easiest —dinner casserole is over! This baked unstuffed bell pepper casserole with green bell peppers, rice and ground beef is a deconstructed twist on the more classic “stuffed pepper casserole”. It’s quick to prepare, a great freezer-friendly meal, and a filling dinner. Yields 4 servings.
The Best Unstuffed bell pepper casserole
You all know I’m a casserole kinda girl, so I love easy dinner casserole ideas!
This green bell pepper recipe is based on my mom’s stuffed peppers. Growing up one of my mother’s favorite meals to make was stuffed peppers. Whenever I go back to visit my Dad I always ask him to think of a meal or two he wants me to make and he always requests this bell pepper and ground beef casserole!
What isn’t there to love about stuffed peppers? Fresh peppers, ground beef, tomato sauce, rice – all smothered in melted mozzarella cheese? Yes, please, gimme a plate!
TIP: This is a great freezer meal! When our 3rd baby arrived, we had a few of these casseroles in our freezer ready to go!
Looking for more easy dinner casserole recipes? Try my Sausage Potato and Pepper Casserole, Taco spaghetti casserole with ground beef, Cheesy Taco Casserole with Ground Beef and Potato hamburger casserole too!
Ingredients for deconstructed bell pepper casserole
Your search is over if you’re looking for a easy dinner casserole idea! You probably already have all the ingredients in your kitchen!
- ground beef
- minced garlic
- chopped onion
- green peppers (when we’re picking green peppers in the garden this is our favorite green bell pepper recipe!)
- diced tomatoes (want to make homemade diced tomatoes?)
- tomato sauce
- beef broth
- white rice
- Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper
- mozzarella cheese
Directions to Make unstuffed bell pepper casserole
Let’s make this bell pepper casserole bake together!
Brown your ground beef, along with 2 cloves of garlic and onion in a large frying pan until beef is browned.
Add the ground beef mixture into a baking dish. Both 11×8 baking dish and 9×9 size work well for this recipe.
Add chopped green peppers, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, uncooked long grain rice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper on top of the beef.
Want to add some sneaky vegetables? This is completely optional, but if you want to you can add 1/2 cup chopped spinach or kale too. This is a simple way to add some additional veggies to your family meals (I love being sneaky, hehehe)!
Mix to fully combine all the ingredients together.
Bake for 75 minutes, or until the rice is soft. Depending on the brand and variety of rice you use, sometimes you need 10-20 minutes more, so make sure to test the rice to make sure it’s soft and not still crunchy.
Remove from oven, sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top and bake 10 more minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Serve and enjoy this bell pepper and hamburger casserole!
Can I make this in advance?
Here are 2 ways that you can prepare unstuffed bell pepper casserole in advance. I would not suggest preparing it completely as the rice will soak up the liquid and the texture will be a little weird.
- Bake it completely, allow to cool and then put in the refrigerator. Warm up the next day when ready to serve (either in oven or microwave).
- Prepare all the ingredients separately and store in the fridge. Don’t put the ingredients together into the dish until ready to bake it.
Can I freeze stuffed pepper casserole?
Yes you can freeze bell pepper casserole with rice! This makes such a great freezer meal! In fact, when our 3rd baby arrived, we had a couple of these casseroles ready to go in the freezer for us!
First bake the casserole as instructed, skipping the cheese on top. After it’s cooked, allow to cool and then wrap in aluminum foil and place in freezer.
When ready to eat, remove from the freezer and bake at 350 degrees F for about 60 minutes, covered with aluminum foil. You might need to add a few extra minutes after you check the middle. Remove the foil, add the shredded mozzarella cheese and bake 10 more minutes.
Pin for later:
Unstuffed Bell Pepper Casserole with Ground BeefPrint
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 large green peppers chopped
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup long grain rice uncooked
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a skillet, add ground beef, minced garlic and onion and cook until beef is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the beef mixture into a 11×8 baking dish.
- Add chopped green peppers, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, uncooked long grain rice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper on top of the beef. Mix to fully combine the ingredients.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 75 minutes, or until rice is soft and no longer crunchy.
- Take out of the oven, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and bake 10 more minutes. Serve and enjoy!