Cheesy Amish Breakfast Casserole recipe made with bacon, eggs, hash browns and cheese. Baked in the oven and ready to serve in 45 minutes.
Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Is breakfast one of your favorite meals? If not, it’s going to be with this cheesy Amish Breakfast Casserole! What’s not to love about crispy bacon, scrambled eggs, hash browns and cheese, all baked to a bubbly perfection in a 9×13 baking dish?
This is a great recipe for relaxed weekends, holidays (Christmas morning, Easter Sunday, etc) or pot lucks. Some people have told me they’ve doubled the recipe for a large crowd (use 2 dishes) and there’s never any leftovers!
Want to add sausage?
Bacon is my weakness so that’s why I use bacon for this recipe but if you prefer sausage, go for it! Follow the recipe as instructed, browning the sausage with the onion and pepper. You can use turkey sausage, or mild/hot pork sausage. Want to make it really special? Check out my homemade breakfast sausage!
Can I make this in a 8×8 pan?
You sure can. Simply cut the ingredients in half and bake in a 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish for a smaller serving.
Can I make this in advance?
Absolutely, and I often do this, especially for Christmas morning. Prepare the recipe as instructed, but just don’t bake it. When it’s time to bake, remove from the refrigerator and allow to sit on your counter while your oven preheats. Once preheated, bake as usual for 1 hour.
How to Store and Heat Leftovers
What’s even better than breakfast casserole? Leftover breakfast casserole the following morning – hah! Simply store leftovers in a container in the fridge and then reheat in the microwave or oven the next day.
More Pennsylvania Amish Recipes:
Amish Potato Stuffing
Amish Shoofly Pie
Ham and Cabbage Soup
Cabbage and Noodles
Amish Cinnamon Bread
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies With Marshmallow filling
Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies
Pin for later:
Amish Breakfast CasserolePrint
- 1 pound bacon diced
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper finely chopped
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash browns defrosted
- 12 eggs beaten
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon, onion and green pepper over medium-high heat until bacon is browned. Drain the skillet to try to remove as much bacon fat as possible.
- Make sure the hash browns are fully thawed. Remove as much water as you can from the hash browns to prevent a soggy casserole. I like to put the hash browns in a strainer and press down on them with my hand to remove excess water.
- In a large bowl, add cooked bacon, onion, green pepper, hash browns, beaten eggs, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, swiss cheese, salt and pepper. Stir to fully combine.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes, or until eggs are fully set. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Leave a Comment