Apple Spice Crumble Bars is the perfect Fall recipe that uses leftover apple sauce. You will love the crumble on top!
I love Fall! I love everything about it.
I love cozy sweaters, coats, boots, the crisp wind on my cheeks in the morning and especially the food. Wrap me up in a blanket at night during dinner over a warm bowl of soup and I’m the happiest the girl in the world. October is the time for my 2 favorite holidays, Halloween and my birthday. :D). Halloween is the best time of the year with pumpkin picking, ghosts covering front lawns (or what New Yorkers consider lawns), spooky spiderwebs over doors and little kids trick or treating up their street of brownstones. I wish our apartment building had trick or treaters!
Why else is Fall the best? Apple picking! We usually rent a car and head to Hurd’s Family Farm in New York during this time of the year. There we pick bags of apple, dance down the orchard and then celebrate afterwards with their delicious apple cider donuts and apple cider. Yeah, there’s alot of apple love happening here!
With a bunch of apples, you can make so many goodies. One of my favorite is homemade cinnamon sugar apple sauce, it’s the perfect snack at night, especially warmed up! Did I mention sea salt apple chips too? I can’t get enough of them! But for this apple recipe I wanted something sweet, something I can sink my teeth into with a nice cup of tea – that’s how Apple Spice Crumble Bars came to be!
These bars are delicious, they will quickly become a family and friend favorite. Take them to a party and they will be gone within minutes. The applesauce makes the bars moist without the oil. The recipe uses a entire cup of applesauce making your kitchen smell like a apple wonderland.
I hope you enjoy these bars, it’s one of my favorite apple recipes!
First you need some quality apple sauce. This is some that is made at a local farm. Or you can make your own.
By this time you’ll be smelling Fall in the air!
Next grab your pumpkin pie spice along with baking soda and salt and stir until smooth. I always make a little jar of pumpkin pie spice to last me all Fall. It’s easy to make, I bet you have all the ingredients in your pantry.
And when it comes out of the oven golly molly it’s Apple Spice Crumble Bars time. You want to make sure the bars sit for about 10 minutes so it has time to settle. We want to be able to run a knife down the sides easily to pull it away from the pan.
- 1/4 cup butter - softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray nonstick spray to 8x8 pan.
- In a bowl mix butter, sugar, egg and flours.
- Add in applesauce and continue stirring.
- Add pumpkine pie spice, baking soda and salt and stir until smooth.
- Spread mixture into your sprayed pan.
- After crumble is made, sprkinkle on top and bake 25-30 mnutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and then cut up into sized bars desired.
- Combine flour, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Cut in your butter until it's crumbly.
- Add to the top of your pan of bars evenly.