These RED CHRISTMAS Gingerbread Pancakes are fun for the holidays! This recipe is easy to make for a family! Serve them with a powdered sugar frosting tree on top! Perfect for Christmas morning breakfast!
One of my favorite parts of the holidays is Christmas morning. As a kid my parents had a rule that I had to stay upstairs until they went downstairs first and put on the tree lights. When Santa came on Christmas Eve came he would decorate our tree, so the first time I would see it all lit up and decorated is Christmas Morning. Mom and Dad had a good idea here, don’t let the kids involved in tree decorating. Instead, lie to them and tell them they better not decorate because it’s Santa’s job and Santa will be angry if he doesn’t have a tree to decorate. It’s not like Santa doesn’t have millions of other plans that night, right?
Christmas Breakfast recipe
Now we decorate our tree weeks in advance, but Christmas morning is still special. Why? Because it’s one of the most delicious breakfast meals of the year! There’s always bacon sizzling, bread toasting, eggs however you want and the big plate of pancakes. Oh yes, would it be a holiday morning without the sweet smell of maple syrup poured over moist and delicious pancakes?
I wanted to make a festive pancake recipe. Something that not only the adults will love to eat because of how delicious they are, but the kids will love because it’s fun. First of all, these pancakes are gingerbread flavored. With each bite, it feels like you are eating a soft piece of a gingerbread cookie. And boy do they smell like gingerbread cookies!
Christmas pancakes recipe
Next up is their color. What says fun food more than bright colors? We toss the batter with some red food coloring to give it a rich Christmas coloring. Feel free to have fun here and get your kids involved. Maybe you want to do half red pancakes, half green pancakes instead? Go for it!
Enjoy and have a great holiday breakfast!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Red food coloring, I use the color "Christmas Red"
- Optional: Powdered Sugar, Butter, Icing or Syrup on top.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and brown sugar.
- Make a well in the middle and add egg, vanilla and water. Continue to whisk everything so equally combined.
- Add a few dots of red food coloring in batter and stir.
- Spray a griddle or pan with nonstick spray. Drop 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake.
- Wait until pancake is cooked on one side, then flip to other side and repeat.
- Continue to do this until all batter is gone.
- Add powdered sugar, butter, icing or syrup on pancakes and enjoy!
- Makes 12 small-medium sized pancakes.