Delicious zucchini muffins filled with freshly shredded zucchini and chocolate chips. The delightful combination of zucchini and chocolate creates moist and tender muffins with delightful crispy tops. This recipe yields a dozen mouthwatering muffins.
The Best Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
Zucchini chocolate chip muffins are a yummy twist on traditional chocolate chip muffins. These muffins incorporate grated zucchini which adds moisture and tenderness to the muffins.
The zucchini flavor is very light in these muffins. You know how much I love being sneaky with vegetables when cooking for my family, but I can promise that everyone will love these – even the kids! During the Summer, there’s always a batch on the counter for breakfast and snack for the little kids (and big kids) to grab.
If you are a gardener, and you’re looking for something to do with your garden zucchini – then you need to make these muffins! You should also try my Zucchini Corn Fritters, Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies and Chocolate Zucchini Cake too!
Freshly shredded zucchini is best for these muffins, but you can also freeze zucchini and make these muffins year round!
How to Make Zucchini Muffins
Spray a muffin pan with nonstick spray or put muffin liners into the pan. This recipe makes 1 dozen muffins.
Start making the muffin batter by adding the dry ingredients into one bowl, and the wet ingredients into another bowl. Then mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl and mix to combine.
Grate the zucchini.
1 cup shredded zucchini equals about 1-2 zucchini, depending on size.
Fold in in shredded zucchini and chocolate chips, gently stirring the batter to mix.
Fill the muffin cups up 2/3 of the way with batter.
Tip: Add additional chocolate chips on top of each muffin so when they bake the tops are filled with chocolate chips!
Bake until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
Serve warm and enjoy these zucchini muffins! Got leftovers? Make sure to check out my tips below for storage and how to freeze muffins.
How to Store
To properly store these chocolate chip muffins and keep them fresh for longer, follow these steps:
- Allow the muffins to cool completely: Before storing the muffins, make sure they have cooled down to room temperature. This helps prevent condensation and maintain the muffins’ texture.
- Choose an airtight container: Place the muffins in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag. Make sure the container is large enough to accommodate the muffins without squishing them.
- Store at room temperature or in the refrigerator: If you plan to consume the muffins within a couple of days, it is safe to store them at room temperature in a cool, dry place. However, if you live in a hot and humid climate (or it’s Summer) and want to extend their shelf life, it’s best to store them in the refrigerator.
Can I freeze?
Yes! If you want to store the muffins for an extended period, you can freeze them. Wrap each muffin individually with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place them in a freezer-safe bag or container. Frozen muffins can be kept for 3-4 months.
When you’re ready to enjoy the muffins, thaw them at room temperature if they were stored in the refrigerator or defrost them in the microwave if they were frozen. Optionally, you can reheat them in the oven at a low temperature to regain their freshness and warm them up.
Add nuts: Want to add a crunch? Add 1/4-1/2 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds to the batter. They complement the zucchini and can create a delightful contrast of textures.
Whole Wheat Muffins: You can make these muffins with whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour if you’d like.
Add spices: Enhance the warm, comforting flavors of zucchini muffins by adding spices like nutmeg, or allspice. These spices complement the zucchini and create a cozy, aromatic experience.
Gluten Free Muffins: Need to make these gluten free? Switch to gluten free flour.
Applesauce Swap: Don’t have applesauce? Up the vegetable oil to 1/2 cup.
I hope you love these Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins!
Pin for later:
30 Minute Zucchini Chocolate Chip MuffinsPrint
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extra
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet regular sized chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 12 muffin cups in a muffin pan or use muffin liners.
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. In another bowl mix together egg, applesauce, vegetable oil, milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Add wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl and continue mixing until well combined.
- Add in zucchini and chocolate chips, gently folding the ingredients into the batter.
- Pour muffin cups so they are 2/3 full with batter. Tip: I like to add additional chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
- Bake in the oven for 23-25 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm and enjoy!