Slow Cooker Cherry Tomato Sauce recipe that’s creamy and easy to make! Throw all your fresh garden ingredients into the crockpot and cook. This is a delicious sauce to serve as is, can or freeze.
Slow Cooker Cherry Tomato Sauce
If you are picking bowls of cherry tomatoes right now, this is the tomato sauce recipe that you need! So many of you have loved my Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce, so I decided to make a Slow Cooker version that’s even easier!
This sauce has become my family’s favorite tomato sauce this Summer, so I hope you love it as much as we do!
This is definitely a true garden recipe as it uses up so many of your homegrown veggies! For this tomato sauce you’ll need 8 cups (!) cherry tomatoes, onion, garlic and oregano. You can even throw in some peppers if you’d like (read the tips down below for more suggestions!).
How to Make Tomato Sauce in the Crockpot
Place whole cherry tomatoes straight into the slow cooker. You don’t even need to chop them up!
Add all the other ingredients and stir so the olive oil fully coats all the tomatoes.
Cook on HIGH or LOW depending on how much time you have. Both taste great, so no worries if you need it quickly on HIGH.
Serve and enjoy! It’s so good!
How to Freeze and Can
You can freeze or can this tomato sauce depending on your preference.
To freeze: Place in freezer bags, label the bag, and freeze. I like to fill each freezer bag up with 3 cups of tomato sauce as that equals approximately a jar.
Sometimes when you defrost tomato sauce it’s a little watery. This is fine to eat and can be served as is, but if you want to thicken it up add a little bit of tomato paste to it.
To can: After sterilizing and cleaning jars and lids, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to a pint jar, or 2 tablespoons to a quart jar, and then fill up with tomato sauce, leaving 1/2 inch space on top. Wipe the rims and put lids and bands on.
Process in a canner pot of boiling water for 35 minutes. Allow the canner to cool down for 10 minutes before carefully removing the jars. Place on a towel and allow to cool completely, about 12-24 hours (we like to let ours sit overnight). Check to make sure the lids are completely sealed before storing them.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe depending on your slow cooker size.
- Want to use other tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes? Go for it. Roma, San Marzano, Plum (Amish Paste) and Beef tomatoes are all great options. If you’re using full size tomatoes, chop them up in quarters before placing in the slow cooker.
- Have an abundance of green peppers? Chop up 1 or 2 green peppers.
- For a spicy kick, add a diced up jalapeño pepper in. For less severe spicy, only use half of the jalapeño pepper.
- Add fresh (or dried) herbs, such as oregano or basil to up the flavor taste!
Other Tomato Sauce Recipes
I have a wide variety of sauce recipes that I hope you’ll enjoy! Pick your favorite and get cooking!
Pin for later:
Slow Cooker Cherry Tomato SaucePrint
- 8 cups cherry tomatoes stems removed
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Put all ingredients into your slow cooker and stir so the olive oil coats everything.
- Close the lid and cook on HIGH for 2.5 hours or LOW for 5 hours.
- Place an immersion blender into the slow cooker and blend until sauce is smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender you can also transfer to a blender or food processor, but please be careful as the sauce is hot.
- Serve immediately, or freeze or can to use at a later date.