Homemade Roasted Corn Kernel Nuts that taste just like Corn Nuts you buy in the store! This healthy snack is easy to make and only uses 4 ingredients! Bake them in the oven for 30 minutes for a crunchy snack!
Crunchy Corn Nuts Recipe
Roasted Corn Kernel Nuts are popular in our house. When we first started buying them months ago a bag would be gobbled away in 2-3 days tops. The thing I didn’t really like about them was the price and some of the additional ingredients on the bag.
A small bag of roasted kernels from the grocery store runs us about 4 bucks and that is easily 1.5 serving (even if the bag says 4 servings, it’s just not happening), that is way too expensive in my opinion. So now I’m going to show you how to make corn nuts!
Here’s why we love making homemade corn nuts.
- Easy. Besides soaking the corn overnight, these are quick and easy to make.
- Cheap. A 16 oz bag of corn runs about $2.50 in the store, other ingredients like seasonings I always have on hand.
- As healthy as possible. Instead of vegetable oil, I use coconut oil. Coconut oil is starting to become a favorite in so many ways I cook and bake.
I actually like these corn nuts better than the packaged kind because they aren’t so hard on my teeth. Also I like the simple seasoning of salt and sugar.
How to Make Corn Nuts
The challenge was to find the right kind of corn for this. Popcorn kernels were way too tiny, but I found Goya brand Giant White Corn which works perfect for this recipe!
Soak the corn overnight, around 12 hours. Rinse and drain and you’re ready to go.
Place in a bowl and add salt and sugar.
Pour in coconut oil. You can use vegetable oil or sunflower oil if you’d like here instead.
Place them on a baking sheet. I like to put down a piece of parchment paper for easy cleanup.
Now bake and keep an eye on them. Stir them around every 10 minutes. I repeat, keep an eye on them. The corn burns quick so when it’s turning brown it will be done soon!
Mine took closer to the 40 minute mark to be done, but I would start to really monitor it at 20 minutes depending on oven and corn variety.
And when it’s done, you will have beautiful roasted corn kernel nuts! Grab a bowl and enjoy your crunchy corn nuts!
Feel free to play around with other seasonings. For sweet, you could add cinnamon and make cinnamon sugar corn nuts. Or if you’re looking for savory, try adding cumin or garlic powder. I made a batch with everything bagel seasoning and they were delicious!
How to Store
Store in a mason jar, airtight container or sealed bag. This recipe fills up about 1 and a half mason jars (32 oz size), so it’s a good amount to snack on.
Pin for later:
Roasted Corn NutsPrint
- 14 ounce bag Giant White Corn also labeled as Maiz Mote Pelado
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Soak the giant white corn overnight, for approximately 12-14 hours. Rinse and drain.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss corn with oil, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Place corn in single layer on a nonstick baking sheet. You can put parchment paper down first if you'd like to make it a easier cleanup.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until slightly browned. Every 10 minutes stir corn on the baking sheet. Keep a eye on them and remove immediately when they are brown as they can burn quickly.
- Let cool and enjoy! Store in mason jar or sealed bag.