HOW TO make the BEST Pumpkin Roll With Cream Cheese Filling- my most requested Thanksgiving dessert! This delicious homemade Pumpkin Roll recipe is easy to make and walks you through the steps on how to make it. The roll is so moist and delicious! Includes how to make video!
The first time I made a Pumpkin Roll years ago I was ecstatic. There was so much preparation and fear in the roll. For those who have made a roll I think you can all remember your first time, whether it was a success or a flop. I researched it profusely online watching rolling videos, looking at step by step blog posts, very intimidated by the rolling process.
Easy Pumpkin Roll Recipe
How was I supposed to roll the cake without cracking it? How was I supposed to add the cream? What is cheesecloth? And how was I supposed to get the cake out of the cookie sheet without having it stick at all losing big points in presentation and pretty factor (we all want a pretty roll).
So I made the roll, I had it timed, I had my supplies ready and the first time – it was a success. My heart was racing during that very short time frame from getting the cake removed from the cookie sheet (hot!) almost immediately out of the oven, onto damp cheesecloth and roll it (hot!).
After it was rolled, I let out a big sigh of relief. I might have even fell on the kitchen floor in victory. Actually that’s probably what I did, I am very dramatic when it comes to baking success. I’m just so darn happy.
Pumpkin Roll Video
Like my videos? Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
How to make a Pumpkin Roll from scratch!
-Don’t let the cake stick to the pan when baking it. This is a big important factor. You have a very short time when you remove it from the oven and flip it upside down to flop onto the cheesecloth. If it sticks, the cake will fall apart, a little or completely. What saves this? PAM. Pam is my hero. What a great name too, right? 🙂
Another tip to make a perfect roll? Cheesecloth. Have you ever used it before? If not, let me tell you a bit more. Cheesecloth is a loose woven gauze-like cotton cloth, often used in cooking, straining and cheese making. If you need to buy it swing by your local grocery store or kitchen section of a department store, it’s only a few bucks and it gives you enough in one package to last you quite a while.
When ready to use it for this roll, cut out a piece, get it damp (so it wont stick to the roll) and then you’re set. Once you are ready to add the cream cheese filling to the pumpkin roll, you will just unravel it and the cheesecloth will come right off.
Pumpkin Roll Video
If you want to watch how to make a pumpkin roll before you try it, make sure to watch the video attached to this post!
And here it is, my lovely Pumpkin Roll, the love of my life.
Each cut into the roll leaves you with a beautiful slice, but it’s hard for me to only eat one piece.
This is a hit for the holidays. I plan on making a few of these Pumpkin Rolls to give out as presents. What says you love someone more than a homemade baked good?
I hope you give this roll a try, I think you will really like it. Plus I think you really deserve this delicious treat!
For presentation, I always like to sprinkle a little bit of powdered sugar on top. It just makes it extra delicious!
Can you freeze a pumpkin roll?
Yes, I like to wrap mine in plastic and aluminum foil before freezing. You can defrost the whole roll in the refrigerator overnight or you can freeze individual sizes. If you freeze individual slices you can quickly defrost them in the microwave!
You can also freeze this if you plan on making it ahead of time. I would just defrost in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Enjoy (and please save me a slice!).
Follow me for more recipes and stories.
I’d love to get to know you! Let’s be friends!
Pumpkin Roll With Cream Cheese FillingPrint
- 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons confectioners powdered sugar
For the cream filling
- 8 ounce package of cream cheese - softened
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a cookie sheet with your cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Stir in pumpkin puree, eggs, and lemon juice. Continue to stir until all smooth.
- Pour mixture into cookie sheet, spreading until mixture smooth and even.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Lay a damp piece of cheesecloth down on a clean counter. Sprinkle it with powdered sugar. When cake comes out, turn cookie sheet upside down and put the cake onto the cheesecloth.
- Carefully roll up the cheesecloth with cake, forming your pumpkin roll.
- Place in refrigerator until cool, about 20 minutes.
- While cooling, preparing your cream filling. In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and sugar until smooth.
- When the cake has cooled 20 minutes, unroll it and spread cream filling onto it, edge to edge. Immediately re-roll (not with cheesecloth).
- Cut into slices and enjoy!
Looking for more Pumpkin recipes?
Try my Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Donuts!
Try my 5 Ingredient Pumpkin Cookies!
Try my Pumpkin Dinner Rolls!