These easy-to-make, healthy, and delicious Chocolate Avocado Popsicles are the ultimate reprieve from the summer heat for kids and adults alike! Homemade chocolate fudge blended with avocado and banana to make it extra creamy and nutritious!
Homemade Healthy Chocolate Popsicles
When the warm weather kicks in, people start scrambling to get their hands on different cold or frozen treats for instant cooling relief from the heat. While store-bought ice cream, shakes, and popsicles are undoubtedly refreshing, they are not exactly the healthiest way to cool us down. Plus- they don’t come in cheap either!
My 3-ingredient Frozen Banana Ice Cream, Earl Grey Tea Popsicles, Fruit Smoothies, Classic Vanilla Pretzel Milkshake are heaven-sent on a sunny day. And since it gets really hot in the garden during the summer, we always want more, more, more!
Our latest addition is this homemade fudgesicle made healthy! You will need 7 ingredients to make them, but most can be found in your pantry, so you probably just have to grab the fruits. They are an absolute winner- and not just with the kids! This is a creamy frozen treat that you will not want to miss out on.
What You’ll Need
The homemade chocolate fudge is a melted mixture consisting of pantry staples and can easily be modified to fit your dietary requirements. You are also assured that it is free from artificial flavors and preservatives. We also used fresh fruits to make the popsicles rich and creamy without the need for fats and other junk! Here are the ingredients and their possible substitutions.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips– has the perfect amount of sweetness for this recipe. However, if you prefer a bit of bitterness, you can use dark chocolate chips or bittersweet chocolate chips instead.
- Milk– gives the mixture a rich and creamy taste and texture. If you want it dairy-free, you can replace it with almond milk.
- Cocoa powder– I used unsweetened to make sure the popsicles do not become overly sweet.
- White sugar– you can reduce the calorie and sugar intake by using 2 packs of Splenda instead.
- Vanilla extract- adds a delicate flavor and aroma to the mixture.
- Avocado and Banana– are responsible for making the popsicles creamy instead of icy. They also load these goodies up with various vitamins and nutrients, making it a healthier snack or dessert option.
How to make Healthy Chocolate Avocado Popsicles
No muss, no fuss! All you need is a saucepan, blender, and popsicle molds to make them. Making the chocolate mixture will not even take you more than 10 minutes. The hard part is waiting for them to set and freeze!
Make the chocolate fudge mixture. Add the chocolate chips, milk, cocoa powder, sugar, and vanilla extract to a small saucepan set over low, medium heat. Whisk until the chocolate has completely melted.
Blend the fruits. Pour the melted chocolate fudge mixture into a blender. Place the avocado and banana in the blender and process until the mixture turns thick and creamy. Do not rush through this, as it will take a few minutes to get the right consistency.
Pour and Freeze. Pour the mixture into popsicle molds and tap it several times on the counter to remove any air pockets.
Place the stick caps and freeze for at least 4 hours, or until they have firmed up. We prefer freezing them overnight to be absolutely sure they’re ready to go!
Tips when Making your Homemade Popsicles
- Love salted chocolate? Add a sprinkle of sea salt on top of the popsicle before serving. It tastes like a chocolate pretzel – so good!
- If you do not have popsicle molds, you can pour the mixture into small paper cups instead. Cover them with foil, then pierce the center with wooden sticks as an easy “DIY method.”
- Can I use chocolate blocks instead of chocolate chips? Absolutely! Just make sure to roughly chop them into small pieces, or you can use your peeler to make chocolate shaves. The smaller they are, the better for melting.
- Is this recipe gluten-free? Though chocolates and cocoa powder are naturally gluten-free, they may contain add-ons that have gluten upon manufacturing. Make sure to check on the package information before using them to be on the safe side.
- Can I make it vegan? Sure you can! As long as you use vegan chocolate chips and non-dairy milk like almond, oats, or soy milk, this can be part of your plant-based diet.
- Can I use powdered sugar instead? Yes, no problem. You can also use brown sugar to give your chocolate mixture a caramel-like flavor.
- Will it taste like avocado or banana? No, it will not. The chocolate chips and cocoa powder will ensure an intense, dominant chocolate taste. The fruits will help make the popsicles fudgy and thick. Looking to skip both? Then make my Chocolate Nutella Popsicles!
- I do not have a banana; is that fine? I suggest replacing it with your favorite nut butter if you do not have this. It will even give your popsicles another layer of flavor.
- How long do they last? These homemade fudgesicles should last for a few weeks in the freezer. Make sure to wrap them in plastic or foil if you plan to store them long.
Pin for later:
Healthy Chocolate Avocado PopsiclesPrint
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 avocado
- 2 banana
- In a small saucepan over medium heat add chocolate chips, milk, cocoa powder, sugar and vanilla. Continue to stir until chocolate is fully melted.
- Add melted chocolate mixture into a blender, along with avocado and bananas and blend, until it's thick and creamy. This will take about 2 minutes to achieve creaminess consistency, careful not to overblend.
- Pour the mixture into popsicle molds and freeze for at least 4 hours, or until firm. I recommend freezing overnight to make sure they're firm.