Healthy Chocolate Nutella Popsicles that are only 150 calories. You only need 5 ingredients – and they’re so easy to make!
While Nutella does not last long in our household, I make sure that every precious drop is put to very good use! And before throwing out the “near empty” bottle, I wipe it clean with a spoon or finger! Yes, I am that girl! Aside from spreading on bread or simply licking off a spoon, I use it to make my Nutella Butter Cookies and Nutella Banana Bread.
Quick and Easy Homemade Popsicles
And my favorite way to use it up in the summer is to make Chocolate Nutella Popsicles! These frozen delights on a stick provide a triple dose of chocolatey goodness from the melted chocolate chips, creamy Nutella and cocoa powder.
While it is not considered the healthiest of snacks, I used fat-free milk to get the calorie count down, making it so much healthier than store-bought fudgesicles! So you can cool down with one or even two of these ice lollies without all the guilt.
They are super easy to make too! And once you’ve realized just how truly effortless homemade popsicles are, you will never go back to buying them! As long as you have a blender and a popsicle mold, you are set! It would not even take 10 minutes to get them ready for freezing.
Ingredients You Need
I bet a quick rummage in your pantry and fridge will produce everything you need to make these choco Nutella Popsicles. Here’s what you need:
- Chocolate chips – you can use either bittersweet or milk chocolate. If you like it less sweet and experience a more bitter flavor, you can also use dark chocolate chips.
- Milk– You can use low fat or whole milk. Low fat milk provides all the goodness of whole milk but with reduced fats.
- Nutella– this hazelnut cocoa spread is thick enough to give the popsicles a creamy texture!
- Cocoa powder– Adding 2 tablespoons of this ensures that you get that luxurious, natural chocolate goodness on every bite or lick!
- Vanilla– adds a subtle aroma and delicate taste that just rounds it all together!
How to Make Chocolate Nutella Popsicles
You will wonder why you spent all those years without enjoying these Nutella-infused fudgesicles once you realize how easy they are to make! You kids would even ace them! I just love it when I make something so amazing with very few dishes to clean up after.
Melt the chocolate chips. Place them in a small microwavable bowl and melt for about 30-45 seconds. There will still be some solid pieces when you take them out of the microwave. Do not reheat! Just mix with a spoon until the heat from the melted pieces slowly melt all of them.
Blend all ingredients together. Using a blender, add all the ingredients and mix until everything is well incorporated.
Mold and freeze. Pour the mixture into popsicle molds, place the stick caps and freeze them overnight.
Tips when Making Chocolate Nutella Popsicles
- If your chocolate chips were refrigerated, you would need to add a few more seconds to melt them in the microwave. 45 to 60 seconds will do.
- Try this easy hack if you do not have popsicle molds. Pour the mixture into small paper cups, cover the cups with foil, and insert a popsicle stick in the middle.
- When ready to eat, run the popsicle mold under warm water or just hold it with your hands on a hot day to get the mold off.
It is always with these simple recipes that you get to really have fun! Because they are basically blank canvases where you can let your creativity (and sweet tooth) lead you to making loads of variations! Here are some suggestions to start you off!
- Swap the Nutella with peanut butter and you have a yummy Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice pops! PB lovers say hooray!
- Coat with a hard chocolate shell sprinkled with nuts or coconut flakes to jazz your popsicles into Magnum-like extravagance!
- You can make an even healthier version by adding avocado and banana to the mix! Check out my Healthy Chocolate Avocado Popsicles recipe!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I make this vegan-friendly? Unfortunately, Nutella is not vegan as it contains dairy. So unless you are willing to swap it with another creamy hazelnut spread that is dairy-free, it is not vegan approved.
- Is it gluten-free? All the ingredients used in this recipe are naturally gluten-free. However, I still recommend checking for any cross-contamination during the manufacturing of cocoa powder and vanilla.
- I don’t have chocolate chips, can I use a block of chocolate instead? Yes, of course. Just chop them into smaller pieces, so they melt easier in the microwave.
- Can I skip the vanilla? Sure, no problem. The vanilla gives a subtle flavor that melds beautifully into the chocolate mixture. But these Chocolate Nutella Popsicles should still be delicious without it.
- How long can I store them? They can last in the freezer for a month or two. Make sure that you wrap them individually in foil or a freezer bag.
- Can I use chocolate powder instead of cocoa powder? I do not recommend it. Cocoa powder is purely made from roasted and ground cacao beans, giving it a deep chocolate taste. On the other hand, chocolate powder is made with cocoa powder, plus sugar and creamer.
Pin for later:
Chocolate Nutella PopsiclesPrint
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (bittersweet or milk chocolate)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small microwave safe bowl add chocolate chips and heat in microwave until melted, about 30-45 seconds. Remove from microwave and give them a stir to assure they're completely melted.
- Add all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until mixture is well combined and not lumpy.
- Pour mixture into popsicle molds and freeze overnight.
- When ready to eat, run the popsicle mold under warm water or just rub with hands on a hot day to slide the popsicle out. Enjoy!