CHINESE Chicken and Broccoli. Homemade, healthy and easy recipe that tastes just like your favorite Chinese takeout restaurant! Your entire family is going to love how delicious this is, and you’re going to love how simple it is to make!
When I get Chinese takeout I usually order:
Chicken & Broccoli
Broccoli & Garlic Sauce
Shrimp & Broccoli
Lo Mein with Added Broccoli
Do you see the broccoli love?
Authentic Chinese Chicken and Broccoli Recipe
I have been trying to perfect a takeout restaurant version of chicken and broccoli for many years. I was close but the broccoli was never perfectly crunchy, the sauce was too thick, the sauce was too thin, the taste was off. But finally, finally! I shake my fist at you chinese chicken and broccoli recipe because I did it!
It was a great moment sitting down at dinner to eat this and hear the cheers from both my and Matthew’s mouths. It’s really good. I don’t think I can ever order takeout again if I know it’s this easy (and much more healthier) to make at home.
If you love Chinese Takeout Chicken and Broccoli, you will love this recipe!
How to Make Chicken and Broccoli
Oh garden greens, I love you. I picked some fresh broccoli, green peppers and sugar snap peas. You can omit the sugar snap peas if you want to, but I would highly recommend keeping them in. It gives it a great additional crunch!
You want your chicken to be cut up into bite size pieces, and then you let them marinate for a bit until you are ready to move on to the next step with them.
This is the magic sauce that holds everything together. It’s the sauce I have fought with to get just right. It was a glorious moment!
The sauce turned out so well due to these 3 great ingredients. I’ve really come to love sesame oil in cooking the past few years. PS. Make sure you use low sodium or lite soy sauce, we want to cut back on the salt in this recipe.
PIN FOR LATER:
Want more broccoli recipes?
CHINESE Chicken and Broccoli
CHINESE Chicken and Broccoli. Homemade, healthy and easy recipe that tastes just like your favorite Chinese restaurant! Your entire family is going to love how delicious this is, and you're going to love how simple it is to make!
- 1 head of broccoli cut up into florets
- 1 small green pepper - cut up into small slices
- 3/4 cup sugar snap peas - chopped into thirds
For the chicken marinade
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut up into bite size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon rice cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to fry in
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix your marinade ingredients in a bowl - add your bite size chicken pieces and stir. Set aside.
- Mix your sauce ingredients in a bowl - set aside.
- Steam broccoli for 3 minutes, drain - set aside.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken, it's marinade and 1/2 of the sauce mixture. Keep cooking until chicken is fully cooked.
- Add steamed broccoli, sugar snap peas, green pepper and remaining sauce with 1/2 cup water.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes until sauce thickens up.
- Serve and enjoy!