Easy to make Cheesy Brussels Sprouts that only take 20 minutes on the stove top. Want to turn someone into a brussels sprouts lover? Simple, make these!
Cheesy Brussels Sprouts Recipe
These cheesy Brussels sprouts are delicious! So delicious that if you have someone in your family who isn’t a brussels sprouts fan, try these as a gateway recipe! I think their opinion might change after this!
The Brussels sprouts are boiled to soften, and then covered in a creamy cheese sauce, all ready in 20 minutes. You can serve these as a side dish to anything (our favorites are meatloaf, sausage and rotisserie chicken) or on top of rice as a simple weeknight meal.
How to Make Brussels Sprouts in Cheese Sauce
Cut the ends off the sprouts. This is the most time-consuming part, and my least favorite.
Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook until a fork easily goes into the brussels sprouts, about 10-15 minutes. Drain them.
In a saucepan make the creamy cheese sauce, this is an easy sauce consisting of butter, garlic, flour, salt & pepper, milk and shredded cheese.
Add brussels sprouts into cheese sauce.
Stir until they’re completely cheesy. Serve and enjoy!
Here’s the answers to the most FAQ for this recipe.
- This recipe calls for 2 pounds of Brussels sprouts, but if you only have 1 pound, just cut the recipe in half. Want to make 4 pounds for a Thanksgiving side? Easy, just double the recipe.
- I like shredded orange cheddar cheese for the cream sauce, but if you’re looking for a white sauce, use white cheddar cheese, or mozzarella cheese. Looking for extra creamy? Use Velveeta.
- These will keep in your refrigerator for 2-3 days. Heat up in the microwave or put into a saucepan on the stove.
- You can freeze these! Make per recipe directions, allow to cool and then package in freezer bags. When we have a big brussels sprouts harvest in the garden, I’ll often make a few batches of these for easy weeknight side dishes. When it’s time to eat, defrost overnight in the fridge or in the microwave.
- Want to use another vegetable? Try my Cheesy Broccoli.
Other Brussels Sprouts Meals:
Pin for later:
Cheesy Brussels SproutsPrint
- 2 pounds Brussels Sprouts ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add brussels sprouts, reduce heat to medium and boil for 10-15 minutes, or until a fork easily goes in them. Drain brussels sprouts.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat melt butter with garlic. Stir in flour, salt and pepper and mix for 1 minute. Add milk in and whisk until smooth. Add shredded cheese and mix, until cheese is completely melted and creamy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add brussels sprouts into cheese sauce saucepan and mix to fully coat them. Serve and enjoy!
Tip: Serve as a side dish or over rice for a simple dinner meal.