Buttered Cabbage and Rice is a comfort food recipe that only takes 20 minutes from start to finish! It’s a great back to school dinner recipe!
This is a easy comforting meal filled with vegetables from the garden that I hope you’ll love as much as I do. Right now kids are going back to school, creating havoc on the Fall schedule. There’s school, sports, activities, homework and there’s also you! Don’t forget to take care of you! I wanted to create a recipe that would be ready in 20 minutes that is still wholesome with fresh ingredients – a meal you’ll feel good about serving the family. Enjoy!
The main vegetables in this recipe are cabbage and peas, 2 things that we have in abundance right now in the garden. I’ve always liked cabbage, but this Summer I turned into a real cabbage lover. I can’t get enough of it, especially sauteed and buttered! Yum. Our sugar snap peas are coming to a end this season, what’s left is those monster peas that are busting through the pods. The recipe calls for 1/2 peas so you can either use frozen peas (cook them first) or you can shell fresh peas. Use whatever you hand on hand and is easiest.
For rice I’m using Success® Basmati Rice which is cooked perfectly in 10 minutes. When our schedules get crazy I like to keep a few boxes of this in our pantry to help with quick meals (breakfast through dinner). If we get home late from work it’s convenient to quickly make these pre-measured colander-style bags on the stove or in the microwave without sacrificing great test of rice.
Basmati Rice is long, separate and slender and elongates 3-4 times in length when cooked. I prefer Success® Basmati Rice because of it’s distinctive fragrance, subtle nutty flavor and fluffy texture but can use White Rice or Whole Grain Brown Rice if you’d like instead!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small head cabbage - chopped
- salt + pepper
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 bags Success® Basmati Rice
- Cook Basmati Rice according to package. Set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large pan over medium high heat. Add cabbage, salt + pepper to taste. Cook for approximately 15 minutes, allowing cabbage to wilt, browning slightly. Stir it semi often. When there is 1 minute left with the cabbage add your peas and stir.
- Take cabbage off the stove and add cooked rice, remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and Parmesan cheese to pan. Stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.