We’ll be having our first Friendsgiving this Friday and I’m so excited to see friends and eat all their yummy casseroles, vegetable dishes and dessert. I’m also pretty excited to share this Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes with Cream of Mushroom Soup and Broccoli Casserole with them!
To me holidays are all about side dishes. As my first year as a Vegetarian during the holidays it’s going to be a culinary adventure but that’s ok, side dishes are always my favorite. In the past turkey has been good, but those potatoes, green beans, stuffing, rolls and pumpkin pie… load me up! I made this casserole with the thought of doing a in between of a mac and cheese and mashed potatoes. It’s creamy, it’s cheesy and even better it uses my favorite Cream of Mushroom soup and a bunch of broccoli. Have you guys noticed my love of broccoli in recipes? I can’t help it. I see broccoli hearts in my eyes.
Instead of using all that milk and a bunch of cheese this recipe is calling for a Family Size can of Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Mushroom soup. You probably already have a can in your pantry for other favorite Thanksgiving side dishes but did you know it makes one heck of a potato dish too? This is one of my favorite Condensed soups to have on hand because it’s flavorful and saves me a bunch of time when I’m making multiple dishes at once.
You’ll want to slice up 2.5 pounds of potatoes. I throw these into my food processor and they’re done within a minute. I always think it’s magic. Then you’ll want to cut up a head of broccoli. Use the reference photo below to the left to see the size of the broccoli cut up, each piece should be small.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 23 oz can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 1/2 pounds potatoes - peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter - cut up into little pieces
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- one small head of broccoli - chopped small
- salt +pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix your milk and Cream of Mushroom soup into a bowl.
- Put half of your potatoes into a large casserole dish.
- Put half of your cream of mushroom / milk mixture on top. Make sure to spread it around so it covers the potatoes.
- Add one tablespoon of your cut up butter on top.
- Add half of your broccoli on top.
- Add half of your shredded cheese on top.
- Sprinkle salt + pepper.
- Repeat one more time with all ingredients.
- Bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!