Delicious Homemade Peanut Butter Oreo Cookies recipe that is easy to make! Recipe makes 8 cookie sandwiches.
Oreos. What can I say about them? You either love them or you really love them. There’s no hating Oreos.
What I find shocking about Oreos is that a serving is 2 cookies. Have you ever only ate 2 Oreos? Honestly? Don’t lie to me. I don’t think it’s possible to only eat 2 Oreos. I think they have addicting like ingredients that make you eat at least 6. And that’s on a good day.
And then there’s the flavors of Oreos. Remember when it used to be just the chocolate with vanilla cream? Those were the days. Now you have Golden Oreos, Birthday Cake Oreos (yes!), Gingerbread Oreos (YES!), Candy Corn Oreos (YES YES!) and more. I would like to say that I have tried all the Oreos listed and think they are all delicious and that I did not only eat 2 of them. Seriously, 2 of them? I’ll never get over it.
So a few days ago I was craving Oreos but having a bag of Oreos is a dangerous thing, especially when you ignore the serving size instructions. So I decided to make my own Homemade Oreo Cookie sandwiches but with a peanut butter inside.
The peanut butter inside happened accidentally. I’ll be honest. I was gong to make these as regular Oreos with white vanilla cream in the middle but let’s just say there is a expiration date on shortening that should be followed. I made a creamy vanilla mixture with powdered sugar and shortening but it was a failure. I don’t use shortening much so it basically sits in my cabinet to be used a few times a year. Well after I tasted the vanilla cream I knew something was off. My gut instinct told me right away it was the shortening. So I turned the cannister upside down and looked at the expiration date. I’m so embarrassed I’m not going to tell you what year it said.
So what does one do when they ruin a vanilla cream? They turn to peanut butter. I’m happy that the vanilla cream disaster happened because I can’t imagine these Oreo sandwiches without the peanut butter filling. The sandwich itself is moist and soft to the touch. The peanut butter stacked between the cookies is creamy and full of sweet flavor. They are a real treat.
This is a smaller size recipe treat. I get intimidated seeing 30 Oreo cookies sitting in my kitchen so this batch makes 8 of them. I think 8 is a fair amount as it will only last a few days and you can share with the people you love the most. You could also eat all 8 yourself and I totally won’t judge you for that.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, room tempearture
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (I used Peanut Butter & Co Smooth Operator)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a bowl mix together cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl using a hand mixer cream together butter, sugars, egg and vanilla.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture and continue to mix until combined.
- Cover cookie dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll the dough into large teaspoon size balls.
- Place balls on parchment lined cookie sheets. Once balls are down use a fork or spatula to flatten them down.
- Bake cookies for 7-8 minutes.
- Using a hand mixer combine the butter and peanut butter until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and milk and continue to mix until combined.
- Take one cookie and put filling on it. Then take another cookie and put it on top. Flatten down with your hand slightly to make the cookie sandwich.
- Makes 8 Cookie Sandwiches
You may also like: