Making Homemade Peanut Butter Cups is so easy! Using a handful of simple ingredients, these no-bake chocolatey peanut butter treats come together in no time and store well for months.
Mini peanut butter cups recipe
I can’t get over how easy it is to make Homemade Peanut Butter Cups. Just like the classic Reese’s peanut butter cups, these sweet, chocolatey, and nutty treats are so addictive! This recipe makes 24 mini peanut butter cups but I recommend doubling the recipe to stash in your freezer.
This mini peanut butter cups recipe has 4 simple ingredients: chocolate, peanut butter, graham cracker crumbs, and powdered sugar. Just like my Chocolate Peanut Butter Blossoms and Baked Chocolate Donuts, these delicious treats are ultra chocolatey with peanut butter. Bonus: customize them any way you like for the holidays, special events, or to make the recipe perfect for your taste buds!
What ingredients are in peanut butter cups?
This is a simple and chocolatey 4-ingredient dessert recipe. You’ll need:
- Chocolate chips
- Creamy peanut butter
- Graham crackers crumbs
- Powdered sugar
Try to use high quality milk chocolate chips for the very best flavors. I also added crushed graham crackers so the peanut butter layer is sturdy and doesn’t leak out of the chocolate.
How to make your own peanut butter cups
No special equipment needed here! Making mini peanut butter cups only requires a mini muffin tin and cupcake liners. You’ll be surprised at just how easy they are to make:
Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave.
Scoop a little melted chocolate into the bottom of each liner.
Stir the graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar, and peanut butter together in a bowl until it forms a gritty dough.
Scoop a little dough out of the bowl, roll it into a ball, and place it in the middle of a chocolate-filled cup. Continue until you run out of dough.
Pour the remaining melted chocolate over the peanut butter balls.
Wrap the muffin tin with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until they’re firm. Serve and enjoy!
Tips and tricks
- If you don’t have a microwave, melt the chocolate over a double broiler instead.
- For a beautiful shine, melt the chocolate with ¼ cup of vegetable shortening or coconut oil.
- Make sure that the peanut butter balls are right in the middle of the chocolate with some space remaining around the sides. This way, the second layer of chocolate will cover the peanut butter entirely.
- Hungry for peanut butter cups right now? Place the assembled and wrapped cups in the freezer instead of the fridge. They should be set after a 30 minute freeze.
Customize your DIY peanut butter cups
Make this recipe your own by swapping a few ingredients or adding fun and festive toppings. Use these suggestions as inspiration:
- Toppings – When the peanut butter cups are assembled, top them with sprinkles or flaky sea salt to make them extra decorative and fun. You could even add a drizzle of white chocolate for a zebra stripe effect!
- Different chocolate – You can replace the milk chocolate chips with dark chocolate chunks, white chocolate chips, vegan chocolate chips, or any kind of chocolate you like! The higher quality, the better your peanut butter cups will taste.
- Instead of powdered sugar – Use maple syrup or honey for a natural sweetness.
- Instead of peanut butter – Use nut free sunflower seed butter or another nut butter, like almond or cashew butter.
Frequently asked questions
Can you make these using a regular sized muffin tin?
Yes! You’ll end up with fewer peanut butter cups but they’ll be bigger in size.
Can these be made gluten free?
To make gluten free peanut butter cups, simply omit the graham cracker crumbs from the recipe or use crumbled gluten free ginger cookies instead.
How long do homemade peanut butter cups last?
Store your mini peanut butter cups in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer and they’ll last for 6 to 9 months!
Looking for more chocolate and peanut butter treats?
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Bark
- Gooey Chocolate Butter Cake
- Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
- Chocolate Chip Carrot Bread
- Peanut Butter Fudge
- Homemade Peanut Butter Oreos
Homemade Peanut Butter CupsPrint
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup graham crackers crushed
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 24 mini muffin liners
- Place 24 mini muffin liners in a mini muffin pan.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, placing them in a microwave safe bowl and heating for 20 seconds. Stir, and microwave for 10 more seconds, or until melted.
- Remove chocolate from the microwave and place a small amount at the bottom of each muffin cup, filing up about 1/4 of the way.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar and peanut butter together in a mixing bowl, mixing until you get a grainy mixture you can roll in your hands.
- Roll a mini peanut butter ball in your fingers and place on top of the chocolate in each cup. You want to make sure that the peanut butter ball is in the middle of the chocolate, it should still have a tiny bit of space around it where we can pour more chocolate in.
- Pour the remaining melted chocolate on top of each peanut butter ball, making sure the chocolate covers the peanut butter and sides.
- Cover muffin pan with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours, or until they are firm. Enjoy!