HOW TO make the BEST Pumpkin Roll – don’t worry it’s easy! This delicious homemade Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling is easy to make and walks you through the steps on how to make it. My family considers this the best pumpkin recipe and it’s always requested for Thanksgiving!
The first time I made a Pumpkin Roll years ago I was ecstatic. There was so much preparation and fear in the roll. For those who have made a roll I think you can all remember your first time, whether it was a success or a flop. I researched it profusely online watching rolling videos, looking at step by step blog posts, very intimidated by the rolling process. How was I supposed to roll the cake without cracking it? How was I supposed to add the cream? What is cheesecloth? And how was I supposed to get the cake out of the cookie sheet without having it stick at all losing big points in presentation and pretty factor (we all want a pretty roll).
So I made the roll, I had it timed, I had my supplies ready and the first time – it was a success. My heart was racing during that very short time frame from getting the cake removed from the cookie sheet (hot!) almost immediately out of the oven, onto damp cheesecloth and roll it (hot!). After it was rolled, I let out a big sigh of relief. I might have even fell on the kitchen floor in victory. Actually that’s probably what I did, I am very dramatic when it comes to baking success. I’m just so darn happy.
So what are the tips to making a successful roll?
-Don’t let the cake stick to the pan when baking it. This is a big important factor. You have a very short time when you remove it from the oven and flip it upside down to flop onto the cheesecloth. If it sticks, the cake will fall apart, a little or completely. What saves this? PAM. Pam is my hero. What a great name too, right? 🙂
Another tip to make a perfect roll? Cheesecloth. Have you ever used it before? If not, let me tell you a bit more. Cheesecloth is a loose woven gauze-like cotton cloth, often used in cooking, straining and cheese making. If you need to buy it swing by your local grocery store or kitchen section of a department store, it’s only a few bucks and it gives you enough in one package to last you quite a while. When ready to use it for this roll, cut out a piece, get it damp (so it wont stick to the roll) and then you’re set. Once you are ready to add the cream cheese filling to the pumpkin roll, you will just unravel it and the cheesecloth will come right off.
And here it is, my lovely Pumpkin Roll, the love of my life.
- 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons confectioners powdered sugar
- 8 ounce package of cream cheese - softened
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a cookie sheet with your cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Stir in pumpkin puree, eggs, and lemon juice. Continue to stir until all smooth.
- Pour mixture into cookie sheet, spreading until mixture smooth and even.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Lay a damp piece of cheesecloth down on a clean counter. Sprinkle it with powdered sugar. When cake comes out, turn cookie sheet upside down and put the cake onto the cheesecloth.
- Carefully roll up the cheesecloth with cake, forming your pumpkin roll.
- Place in refrigerator until cool, about 20 minutes.
- While cooling, preparing your cream filling. In a medium bowl, blend cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and sugar until smooth.
- When the cake has cooled 20 minutes, unroll it and spread cream filling onto it, edge to edge. Immediately re-roll (not with cheesecloth).
- Cut into slices and enjoy!