Best Vegetarian burger made with quinoa and black beans! Burgers are baked in the oven to make more healthy. This easy recipe results in a juicy quinoa burger that even meat eaters will love!
Vegetarian Burger Recipe
This Quinoa Burger is vegetarian. But here’s the thing, it’s so delicious that even my meat eating husband LOVES it! Even my toddler eats a entire burger herself! So what I’m saying is that this is a meal that can be added to your weekly dinner plan even if your family isn’t vegetarian but maybe is trying to consume less meat. The ingredients in this burger are:
- vegetable broth
- black beans
- rolled oats
- green bell pepper
- cayenne pepper
How can I make this a Vegan Burger?
Want to take this burger one step further and make it vegan? That’s easy. The only ingredient you have to swap out is the egg.
Whisk 3 tablespoons warm water and 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds in a bowl. Let sit for 2 minutes. Whisk again and then let sit for 2 more minutes. There, now you have a “vegan egg”.
How to Cook Burgers in the Oven
We’re baking these burgers in the oven to make them more healthy. Usually when you cook on the stove you need to add some oil, so when baking we get to skip the extra oil
After you form the patties, place on a nonstick baking sheet or silicone baking mats. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, making sure to flip the burgers half way. That’s it, delicious healthy burgers baked in the oven!
Topping Ideas for Quinoa Burger
- Slice of cheddar cheese
- Slices of tomato or onion (or caramelized onions!)
- Fresh lettuce or spinach
- Pickles (here’s my homemade pickles recipe)
- Sliced candied jalapenos (adds spice and sweetness)
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Ketchup, Mustard, Mayo or spread on mashed avocado
Can I freeze Veggie burgers?
Yes, freezing these burgers is easy. I often make a double batch on the weekends to freeze a couple of them for easy weeknight meals.
Cook burgers according to recipe. Allow them to cool completely. Place burgers, still on baking sheet, directly in freezer and allow to freeze until solid, this takes around 2 hours. After they’re frozen, put burgers in freezer bags and freeze.
I hope you like these Quinoa Burgers! Enjoy!
Pin for later:
Vegetarian Quinoa BurgerPrint
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring the quinoa and vegetable broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the water has been absorbed. This takes about 15 minutes.
- Add black beans to a large bowl and mash with spoon. I like to mash them about 75% of the way, still leaving some whole black beans in the mixture. Add in cooked quinoa, oats, green pepper, onion, minced garlic, cumin, salt, cayenne pepper and egg. Mix so it's completely combined.
- Form the mixture into 5 patties, using your hands.
- Place patties on nonstick baking sheet or silicone baking mats. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Remove from oven and serve on buns with your favorite toppings.