Simple and fresh tomato mozzarella salad with avocado. This recipe uses olive oil (no balsamic vinegar) to make an easy Summer garden recipe.
A simple and fresh tomato mozzarella salad with avocado is also known as Caprese salad. This recipe uses olive oil (no balsamic vinegar) to make an easy summer garden recipe.
The burst of flavor is just perfect—even your kids will be asking for seconds! Avocado tomato mozzarella salad is a huge hit every time I serve it. Plus, it honestly just looks gorgeous sitting on the dinner table.
Why You’ll Love This Tomato Mozzarella Salad with Avocado
There are so many things to love about this tomato mozzarella salad. First of all, it’s so easy to make, you only need a few ingredients, ten minutes, and you have a deliciously fresh salad ready to serve.
This summer salad is perfect for dinner, garden parties, potlucks, picnics, backyard barbecues, and more. Next time you’re looking for an easy summer salad to serve your guests (and to show off your garden grown veggies) try making this salad!
Why is it Called Caprese Salad?
A Caprese salad is a simple Italian salad consisting of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, and olive oil. This fresh salad gets its name from the Island of Capri, where it is believed to have originated. It is said that the dish pays homage to the Italian flag. The salad consists of: red, green, and white ingredients, much like the Italian flag. You can also find Caprese served as pizza, pasta, or sandwiches.
How to Make Tomato Mozzarella Salad with Avocado
We took this delicious Caprese salad and added creamy avocado. The avocado adds a layer of flavor and texture that ties the whole dish together.
Tomato Mozzarella Salad Ingredients
If you don’t have all your ingredients on hand or growing in your garden, a quick trip to the grocery store will do.
- Large Roma tomatoes
- Ripe avocados
- Fresh mozzarella (Or fresh mozzarella cheese pearls)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Tomato Mozzarella Salad Instructions
Once you have all your ingredients sliced and cut, you’re ready to start the salad.
On a serving plate, arrange slices of tomatoes, avocados, mozzarella, and basil in a circular or vertical pattern in this order: tomato, avocado, mozzarella, basil. Repeat until the ingredients are gone.
Drizzle olive oil on top of everything, and then sprinkle it with salt and pepper to taste. Serve fresh or keep chilled in the refrigerator to serve later on.
Tomato Mozzarella Salad Recipe Help
Tips and Variations
- You can also serve this tomato salad in a large bowl. Simply add the tomatoes, avocado, mozzarella, and basil to your bowl. Toss the tomato mixture and add olive oil and seasonings to taste!
- You can use fresh mozzarella cut into chunks, or for a fun look, try using fresh mozzarella pearls. You can usually find them among the specialty cheeses at your local grocery store.
- Another variation you can try is to swap out the olive oil for balsamic vinegar. This gives the salad a stronger flavor which you might like!
How to Serve Tomato Mozzarella Salad
You can serve this dish any way you like, but we love to serve it next to a meat for dinner, like rotisserie chicken or slow cooker chicken. If you want to stick to the Italian theme, try serving it with chicken parmesan. This classic Caprese salad is also great to bring to potlucks or Summer barbecues!
I really love this salad because it’s packed with flavor and gorgeous colors, giving you that all-around fresh summer feeling.
How to Store Tomato Mozzarella Salad
If you find yourself with some leftovers of this delicious avocado Caprese salad, toss it into an airtight container and store it in the fridge. I find that it’s best eaten within a day, as the avocado quickly browns.
I hope you enjoy this easy summer salad as much as we do! It’s one of those recipes you easily pull together at the last minute with a quick run to the garden or grocery store. Next time you’re craving something fresh and fragrant for summer, give this delicious Caprese, aka tomato mozzarella salad with avocado a go!
Pin for later:
Tomato Mozzarella Salad with AvocadoPrint
- 3-4 large roma tomatoes cut into ¼ inch thick slices
- 2 ripe avocados peeled, pitted and sliced into ¼ inch thick slices
- 16 oz fresh mozzarella cut into ¼ inch thick pieces
- Fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- On a plate, arrange slices of tomatoes, avocados, mozzarella and basil in a circular or vertical pattern in this order: tomato, avocado, mozzarella, basil. Repeat until all the tomatoes, avocado slices and mozzarella is gone.
- Drizzle olive oil on top of everything, and then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Serve fresh. Enjoy!