Juicy tomatoes and savory seasonings baked into this Tomato Macaroni And Cheese transforms the recipe into a next-level comfort food. Great for meal prep and ready in less than 1 hour!
Macaroni and cheese with fresh tomatoes
In this recipe for Tomato Macaroni And Cheese, I combine traditional cheese and noodles with fresh tomatoes and a crunchy breadcrumb topping. This cheesy baked casserole has loads of fresh garden flavor, natural acidity, and pops of red throughout! All you have to do is cook your pasta, mix it together with the seasonings and tomatoes, then bake until it’s creamy on the inside and golden brown on top.
Have I mentioned it takes just 1 hour to throw together? Mac and cheese with tomatoes is the perfect weeknight meal, side dish, or weekday lunch! Even if you don’t have fresh tomatoes, you can easily use diced tomatoes or stewed tomatoes instead. Easy peasy!
How to make tomato mac and cheese
Baked mac and cheese with tomatoes is so easy to make. Plus, it tastes like you spent hours on it even though it takes minimal prep time and less than an hour to bake. Here’s how it’s done:
Boil your pasta according to the instructions on the package.
Add pasta into a greased casserole dish, along with a simple cheese sauce made with butter, flour, milk and shredded cheese.
In a bowl, stir together the tomatoes, sugar, Worcestershire, mustard, salt, pepper and thyme. Pour it on top of the noodles in the dish.
Tip: You can also substitute a can of diced or stewed tomatoes if you don’t have fresh tomatoes.
Top the casserole with breadcrumbs and bake until the cheese is bubbling and the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
More mac and cheese add-ins
Tomatoes aren’t the only way to elevate a mac and cheese recipe. There are plenty of veggies, toppings, and sauces you can add to your everyday mac and cheese or into this dish to give it even more texture. Try out some of the suggestions below for the ultimate mac and cheese comfort food:
- Cooked chopped bacon
- Candied jalapenos
- Spicy tomato sauce
- Sauteed spinach or kale
- Canned beans
- Keto alfredo sauce
- Chopped hot dogs
- Kielbasa in tomato sauce
- Crushed Ritz crackers instead of breadcrumbs
- Cooked ground beef
- Oven-baked frozen corn
You can prepare mac and cheese days ahead of baking. Simply assemble the noodles, cheese, tomatoes, and seasonings in a greased casserole dish and seal it with a lid or cover it with plastic. When it’s time to bake, add the breadcrumb layer on top and then bake.
Storing and reheating leftovers
To store: Leftover tomato macaroni and cheese can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. If you’re storing it in a baking dish, make sure it’s wrapped tightly with plastic wrap or foil.
To reheat: Use a microwave if you’re reheating a small portion of this casserole. If you’d like to heat up the whole thing, cover the dish with foil and bake it in a 350ºF oven for about 15 to 20 minutes or until warmed through.
More cheesy recipes to try
- Easy Lasagna
- Crockpot Mac and Cheese
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese
- Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- Tomato Pie
- Cheesy Green Pepper Bake
Pin for later:
Tomato Macaroni and CheesePrint
- 2 cups elbow macaroni noodles
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes diced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9×9 baking dish with nonstick spray or butter it.
- In a pot of salted water cook macaroni noodles according to the directions on box. Drain and pour noodles into the baking dish.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat melt butter. Once melted add flour and stir until fully combined with the butter. Add milk and continue to cook, stirring often, until sauce thickens, about 4-5 minutes. Add in shredded cheese and continue stirring until cheese is completely melted.
- Pour cheese sauce on top of noodles in baking dish and stir to combine and fully coat all the noodles.
- In a medium-sized bowl mix tomatoes, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, thyme and pepper. Pour on top of the noodles in baking dish and mix.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top and bake, uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven or OPTIONAL: If you want the top browned, put under the stove broiler for 1-2 minutes, watching it very carefully to prevent burning.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!