Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese made with elbow noodles, shredded cheese and fresh broccoli. This simple weeknight recipe is always a hit with my entire family – even picky kids! Covered in a rich layer of buttery breadcrumbs and baked to achieve cheesy perfection, this dish is pure comfort food.
Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese
Broccoli mac and cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods. I mean what’s not to love about broccoli and cheese combo (shout out to my other favs: cheesy broccoli and 15 minute broccoli mac and cheese with velveeta)?
If you’re looking for a simple homemade macaroni and cheese recipe, while sneaking in vegetables – this is it! My guess is there will be no leftovers!
Ingredients You Need
- Elbow macaroni noodles
- Fresh broccoli florets (you can totally use frozen broccoli if that’s all you have, just add it with the pasta!)
- Kitchen basics: butter, all-purpose, dry mustard powder, pepper
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Bread crumbs
How to Bake Broccoli Mac and Cheese
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth. Repeat for the milk and cheese.
Pour cheese sauce mixture on top of macaroni and broccoli and mix to fully coat the noodles.
Add bread crumbs on top of the mac and cheese, and bake until the cheese bubbles on top!
Serve with some sweet cornbread for a full comfort meal and enjoy!
Store leftover mac and cheese in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator. If stored properly, it will last up to 3-4 days.
If you want to ensure it lasts longer, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. Place the mac and cheese in freezer bags or freezer-safe airtight containers. Storing it in the freezer for a later date will be great for easy meal prep on busy weeknights!
Pin for later:
Baked Broccoli Macaroni and CheesePrint
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 4 cups broccoli florets chopped into small florets
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add elbow noodles and broccoli to a large pot of boiling water. Cook noodles according to the package instructions (along with broccoli). Drain pasta and broccoli and pour in 9×9 baking dish.
- In a saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, pepper and dry mustard and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Add milk and continue whisking until creamy and thickened.
- Add shredded cheese and continue mixing until you have a smooth cheese sauce.
- Pour this cheese mixture on top of pasta and broccoli in baking dish and stir to fully coat the noodles. Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!