This Slow Cooker Onion Dip is made with caramelized onions, mozzarella cheese, butter, and sour cream. It’s the perfect party cheesy dip with chips and veggies!
The Best Slow Cooker Onion Dip Recipe
This simple slow cooker dip recipe only requires seven ingredients! In a few hours, you’ll have a delicious and creamy caramelized onion dip to serve at your next gathering. Nothing beats the fresh taste of a cheesy and creamy homemade dip!
It goes great with potato chips, tortilla chips, crackers, veggies and more.
Can you put raw onions in a slow cooker?
Yes! While you can opt to sauté your onions before putting in the slow cooker, this really just seems like extra work that isn’t needed. This recipe is easy because it allows you to put raw onions directly in the slow cooker.
How to Make Onion Dip in the Slow Cooker
Add onion slices, garlic, butter and olive oil into the slow cooker.
Cook for 4 hours.
After, combine onion mixture in a food processor with sour cream, salt and pepper—and pulse.
Add creamy onion dip back into the slow cooker. Add in mozzarella cheese, mix and cook for 30 minutes.
When complete, keep it in the slow cooker (turned to warm) or transfer it to a serving bowl.
Serve, dip and enjoy your creamy onion dip!
What to Serve With Onion Dip?
Potato chips are most people’s first thought when they think of what to eat with onion dip, but it also goes great with the following options:
- Classic potato chips, Ruffles, Fritos
- Tortilla Chips – always get a thick, crunchy variety, perfect for dipping!
- Carrots, celery, broccoli
Refrigerator: Store leftover onion dip in an airtight container and in the refrigerator. If stored properly, it can last up to three to four days.
Freezer: Yes, you can freeze homemade onion dip. Store in a freezer bag or proper container. If stored correctly, it can last up to three months.
Reheat: When you are ready to eat it again, you can serve it cold or warm it up. You can easily reheat it in the microwave if you prefer it warm. But if you have a larger portion to warm up, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and transfer the dip to an oven-safe dish. Once the oven is ready, bake for 15 minutes.
Pin for later:
Slow Cooker Onion DipPrint
- 4 large onions peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Add onions, garlic, butter and olive oil in slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Take onion mixture out of slow cooker and put in food processor along with sour cream, salt and pepper. Pulse a few times until creamy.
- Add onion dip back into slow cooker, add mozzarella cheese and mix.
- Cook for 30 minutes on LOW.
- Serve, dip and enjoy! If serving at a party, you can put it into a bowl or keep in the slow cooker on WARM setting.