No time to brine pickles? Make the best bread and butter pickles in the microwave in 8 minutes! I recommend making a double batch because you’re going to eat them quickly!
Easy homemade pickles recipe
There’s nothing quite like the satisfying crunch and tangy zing of a good pickle. My half sour pickles and 24 hour dill pickles are fun and flavorful, but neither are as quick and easy as this Microwave Pickles recipe. Cooking the cucumbers and brine together in the microwave takes in less than 10 minutes, ensuring you get your pickle fix in a jiffy!
This 8-minute microwave pickle recipe is a simple solution when you need to take your hamburgers to the next level. Instead of running out to the store, just combine the sliced cucumbers, herbs, and brine together in a bowl, and cook in the microwave. I bet you never thought it could be this easy.
RECIPE VIDEO COMING SOON
What are microwave pickles made of?
You can make these crunchy bread and butter microwave pickles with just a handful of simple ingredients and a variety of herbs and spices:
- Sliced cucumbers
- Onion and garlic
- Distilled white vinegar
- Sea salt
- Mustard seeds, celery seeds, and turmeric
How to make bread and butter pickles in the microwave
In a bit of a time crunch? These flavorful and tangy homemade pickles can be made in just 3 quick and easy steps:
Place the cucumber slices, onion slices, vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt, mustard seeds, celery seeds, and turmeric into a large, microwave-safe bowl.
Transfer the bowl to the microwave and cook on high until the cucumbers have softened.
Allow the microwave pickles to cool slightly before using right away or transferring them to mason jars. Pour any remaining liquid over the pickles and close the lid tightly to seal.
This recipe makes 2 pints of 1 quart of pickles.
There are a few ways you can make this microwave pickles recipe your own:
Not a huge fan of bread and butter pickles? Try swapping out the spice blend for different herbs and seasonings to create a jar of pickles that suits your taste buds:
- Make spicy microwave pickles by adding black peppercorns, crushed red pepper flakes, and Thai red peppers to the recipe.
- Try making sweet and spicy Asian-inspired microwave pickles in a mixture of rice vinegar, sugar, ginger, salt, red pepper flakes, and shallot.
- Even just switching up the type of vinegar can vastly change the flavor of the pickles. Try using apple cider, white wine, or rice vinegar.
How long do homemade pickles last?
When stored in an airtight container, these microwave pickles will last in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Use your microwave pickles on these recipes and more:
- Cheeseburger Soup
- Vegetarian Quinoa Burger
- Peanut Butter Burger
- Peanut Butter and Pickles Sandwich
Pin for later:
- 2 large cucumbers sliced
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or regular salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- In a large microwave safe bowl add cucumber slices, onion slices, vinegar, sugar, minced garlic, salt, mustard seeds, celery seeds and turmeric. Mix to fully combine.
- Place in the microwave and cook on HIGH For 8 minutes, or until cucumbers are softened.
- Transfer pickles to glass mason jars, close the lids and place in the refrigerator for storing. This recipe makes 2 pints or 1 quart of pickles.
Leave a Comment