This kale salad combines the crunch of kale with the zesty kick of a lemony dressing – it’s delicious! The tomatoes add a burst of sweetness while the almonds provide a nutty crunch. Ready in minutes to serve with any meal, including making on the spot at potlucks or bringing to a friends house.
Kale Salad With Lemon Juice
This is one of my favorite kale salad recipes. I just love the combo of kale, tomatoes and parmesan cheese, all coated in a zesty lemony olive oil dressing. I always say that this recipe (and sauteed kale) are the easiest recipes to get people to love kale because they’re so good!
This salad goes with practically anything if you’re looking for a side dish, or salad to serve before the main course. Also because you can make it in minutes, only needing a bowl and a spoon, you can whip it up on the spot at a pot luck, or in a friends kitchen if you need something to bring over.
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- cherry or grape tomatoes
- parmesan cheese
Don’t have almonds?
Don’t worry! There are so many alternatives to almonds. The most important thing is that we want to add crunch! Instead of almonds you can use pistachios, walnuts, pecans, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds or croutons.
Should you cook kale for a salad?
No! Fresh kale is the best way to serve in a salad as you get that nice earthy crunch. Raw kale is known for being tough and fibrous so it’s important that you massage the kale for a few minutes with the dressing to fully coat it. While massaging it, the kale will naturally soften up.
How to Make Kale Salad (massage that kale!)
Remove kale from stems and rip into bite size pieces. Wash under cold water and then dry (I love my salad spinner for this!). Place in a large serving bowl.
In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, sugar and salt and pepper.
Pour the lemon juice/olive oil mixture on top of the kale, and massage kale to fully coat it in the dressing.
This is such a important step! Make sure to really massage each piece of kale so it’s covered with the dressing. Massaging the kale will cause it to soften and become more tender. This makes the kale easier to chew, resulting in a more enjoyable salad.
Add tomatoes, almonds and parmesan cheese into the bowl and mix.
Serve and enjoy!
Can I make it in advance?
You sure can. I recommend making the salad up to 24 hours in advance for optimum taste and presentation. Once made, place in the refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Before serving, give the salad a taste test. You may want to add a splash of lemon juice and olive oil if the kale looks or tastes dry.
How to store leftover salad
Store kale salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Kale salad is best for 3-4 days before the leaves start to soften and become soggy.
Pin for later:
Kale Salad with Lemon Dressing (10 minutes)Print
- 1 bunch kale (about 7 cups of kale)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Remove kale from stems and rip or cut kale into bite size pieces. Wash kale under cold water and then dry in a salad spinner, or patting it dry with a towel. Place kale in a large serving bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, sugar and salt and pepper.
- Pour lemon juice/olive oil mixture on top of the kale, massaging the kale, making sure to fully coat each leaf in the lemon dressing Massage it for 2-3 minutes to assure the leaves are softened and tender.
- Add tomatoes, almonds and parmesan cheese into the bowl and toss to fully mix.
- Serve and enjoy this delicious kale salad! Leftovers: Store salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Kale salad is best for 3-4 days.