How to Make RAINBOW Popcorn Balls with marshmallow! This easy DIY recipe walks you through how to make popcorn balls that are colored using food dye and karo syrup! They’re a great snack and dessert for birthday parties!
Do you remember my Inside Out party I threw a few months ago? One of my food centerpieces were these Rainbow Popcorn Balls! There’s something about bright rainbow colors that makes me happy!
For example I had to turn our pumpkins into a rainbow earlier this week. It’s like sprinkles, everything is better with rainbow sprinkles! Or how about my Birthday Sprinkle Muffins? They’re cute and delicious!
One taste of these Rainbow Popcorn Balls will have you amazed by how delicious they are, but yet how easy they are to make!
How to Make Popcorn Balls With Marshmallow
If you are wondering 20 cups of popped popcorn equals about 3/4 cup kernels. I used my air popper which is one of the best kitchen purchases I’ve made! If you are using microwave popcorn this is about 3 bags.
Have your food coloring nearby each bowl. Divide up the corn syrup mixture into how many bowls of popcorn you have. Add 2 drops of food coloring into the bowl. Now mix with a spoon or spatula until all the popcorn is covered. I was too sticky to take a during picture but this is the after picture.
To make things less messy use food safe gloves sprayed with nonstick spray when forming the balls. Make sure to use a different pair of gloves for each color so you aren’t mixing colors.
For parties I love placing them in individual mason jars. This really adds a nice pop of color to a table!
Enjoy these rainbow popcorn balls!
Pin for later:
How to Make Rainbow Popcorn Balls
How to Make RAINBOW Popcorn Balls with marshmallow! This easy DIY recipe walks you through how to make popcorn balls that are colored using food dye and karo syrup! They're a great snack and dessert for birthday parties!
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup marshmallows
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 20 cups popped popcorn
- Food Coloring of your choice
- In a small pot over medium high heat combine corn syrup, butter, sugar, marshmallows, water, vanilla and salt. Keep stirring until mixture comes to a boil.
- Separate popcorn into bowls depending on how many different colors you are using. If you are using 5 colors, separate popcorn into 5 bowls - this will make it safer so you don't mix colors.
- Carefully (it's hot) pour your syrup mixture into bowl of popcorn. Make sure to equally distribute into each bowl of popcorn. For example if you are using 5 colors, separate the syrup into 5 equal parts.
- Add 2 drops of food coloring to the bowl.
- With a spoon stir popcorn so every piece is coated with syrup mixture. Tip: Use a different spoon for each bowl so you don't mix colors.
- Using your hands shape into popcorn balls (whatever size you prefer). You have to do this quickly before the syrup cools off. You can use food safe plastic gloves sprayed with nonstick spray to make this easier to do.
Makes about 30 popcorn balls.