Cheesy cream of broccoli soup made with frozen broccoli, cheese, chicken broth and milk. This is so easy to make in less than 30 minutes — served with fluffy rolls on the side!
The Best Frozen Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe
The best part about this cream of broccoli soup is it’s so easy to make with frozen broccoli, no need to spend 5 minutes chopping up a head of fresh broccoli. It’s also delicious! This creamy soup makes for a great main course with a side of crusty bread or dinner rolls, needed for dipping of course!
Hot cream soups like this are some of our favorites on chilly nights, but are also delicious year round! I hope you like it!
How to Make Frozen Cream of Broccoli Soup
In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt butter and add onion, green pepper and minced garlic.
Add frozen broccoli florets and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then let it simmer.
Use an immersion blender in the soup pot until the soup until it reaches the level of creamy or chunky you want. I prefer a more chunky soup where there are still some broccoli florets, but if you want it velvety smooth, keep blending!
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and add in the flour, milk and shredded cheese. Mix until thickened.
Pour mixture into the creamy broccoli soup, mix, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve with a side of bread or rolls and enjoy your delicious cream of broccoli soup!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If the leftover soup is stored properly, it should last three to four days. To reheat, place the broccoli soup in a large saucepan over medium heat on the stove top or warm it in the microwave.
Can I freeze this?
Yes, you can freeze your leftover cream of broccoli soup! If you’d like your leftovers to last up to two months, store it in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container and ensure it’s closed properly. For best results, write the expected expiration date on the freezer bag, so you won’t forget how long it’s been sitting in the freezer. This is a great recipe if you love to prepare meals and plan ahead!
How can I make a thick broccoli soup?
This is a pretty creamy, thick broccoli soup already but if you want to make it even more thick add 1/2 cup of instant potatoes to the pot when adding in the milk mixture. Stir until the soup thickens up. Alternatively, you can use 3 tablespoons of cream cheese to make it really creamy!
Can I substitute another vegetable for the pepper?
Yes, if you don’t want to use bell pepper, you can use 1/2 cup of chopped carrots or celery. You can opt-out of both of these options entirely, but I highly recommend one or the other.
Other substitutions options
- Chicken broth: You can also use vegetable broth instead of chicken stock for a vegetarian-friendly option.
- Frozen broccoli: This recipe specifically calls for frozen broccoli, but you can adapt it to include fresh broccoli florets, or you can try my fresh cream of broccoli soup recipe. If you like your broccoli to be soft, you must cook it longer than you would the frozen florets.
- Vegan friendly: To make this recipe vegan, switch the chicken broth to vegetable broth, the milk to plant-based milk, and the butter to plant-based butter. Pretty, easy right?
- Milk: You can also use skim milk if you’re looking to cut back on the calorie content of each dish.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
If you love this frozen cream of broccoli soup recipe, I have plenty of other delicious, filling, and flavorful recipes for you to consider:
- Fresh Tomato Soup
- Cabbage Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Kielbasa Sausage and Kale Soup
- Hearty Split Pea Soup
Pin for later:
Frozen Cream of Broccoli SoupPrint
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 (10 ounce bags) frozen broccoli
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper taste
- In a large soup pot over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add onion, green pepper and garlic and cook until vegetables are softened, about 2-4 minutes.
- Add frozen broccoli and chicken broth, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender directly into the pot and blend until soup is the consistency you want – either chunky or smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can also use a regular blender, but be careful as the soup is hot.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 remaining tablespoons of butter. Add flour and mix until paste forms. Add milk and shredded cheese and whisk often until thickened.
- Add milk mixture to the pot of puréed broccoli, mixing to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls. Optional: add Parmesan cheese on top and serve with crusty bread!